Cooking with a Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hakkera, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Hakkera macrumors member

Hi all,

I've recently got into playing EVE online on my desktop PC, much to my pleasure it runs on Mac, there is even an exclusive mac content update coming out next month which I am looking forward to. However I am waiting a few months to buy an iMac as it seems like they are gonna be upgraded soon.

Either way I have been playing EVE at work briefly to check it out. Apparently it doesn't run on macbooks or minis (according to CCP - The developer) but I guess the new 9400M is man enough to handle it :) Either way, when the game is being played, there is a severe heat discharge round the back of the MB. I know this can be expected as the machine isn't really built or gaming in mind, but is it really safe, especially with the screen in such close proximity.

I mean, I know the MB's lack of vents make it look decent and add to the clean looks, but is that little one under the screen really big enough to vent the suprisingly punchy 9400M?

I have to say, I'm impressed with the potential gaming capabilities of the machine and I'm going to look into it, but I wanna know if I should be concerned at the fact I could probably fry an egg on the underside of my mac whilst playing EVE.

2. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'd hold off playing if your MB is nearing egg cooking temperatures. It may be a defect, or just a really heavy load on the graphic chip.

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

The screen won't be affected. If it get too hot, the Mac will just crash before anyway.

Beside, if it does affect your Macbook in any way, it will be covered by the warranty.

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

true.....as long as you're covered it'll be fine

5. Hakkera thread starter macrumors member

Ahh the sweetness of the warranty. Does anyone know of a temperature monitoring program around? I'd like to know how hot the graphics chip is running before things get a little bit too toasty.

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

istat pro. It's a widget that expose you the temps of your computer, and many other stats (ram usage, cpu usage, etc.)

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg