Cool calculator app trick

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
So bored at work i was calculating some numbers using the calculator app when i decided to touch the part where the numbers appear and it started erasing the numbers one by one.

So
-Enter any numbers in calculator app
-swipe finger left to right or vice versa on the part where the numbers appear
-voila

It might be posted before but i love discovering small stuff like this, and cool if you enter one number wrong and dont have to erase the entire field

:apple:

aloecool

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
So bored at work i was calculating some numbers using the calculator app when i decided to touch the part where the numbers appear and it started erasing the numbers one by one.

So
-voila

It might be posted before but i love discovering small stuff like this, and cool if you enter one number wrong and dont have to erase the entire field

That's actually a useful tip for me since I use the calculator quite a bit on the phone. Thanks!

Comment

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010

So
-voila

I didn't know that!! Thanks for the tip! :D

Comment

katai

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
Haha wow didn't expect it to be easier. I was wondering why theres no backspace. I'd always clear and start over. Great tip.

Comment

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Awesome trick, i used to just clear and retype the number. good to know that you can do this.

Comment

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Yup. Been around ages ago. I can see why people miss it though. Often when they need to delete just one digit they press C and delete everything.

Oddly, if you have the digits typed out and close the calculator from the multitasking pane and come back to the app, you won't be able to swipe to delete anymore.

Comment

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Oddly, if you have the digits typed out and close the calculator from the multitasking pane and come back to the app, you won't be able to swipe to delete anymore.
You can do this in iOS5 though...

Another feature removed ;)

Comment

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Nice, just discovered it will speak the number as well, if you have speak selection switched on. It can read numbers out in Chinese as well. :)

Comment

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
you can't.. i just tried it..
This has been there since I owned a 3GS when it came out. I think you can do it since iOS 3.0 You have to swipe the fake calculator screen.

TS, swipping to delete is nothing new, glad you found out about it, is a great timesaver. :)

Comment

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I feel like there are a lot of useful features that I don't know about.

Comment

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
I discovered this one a while back. It was when cut-n-paste was added because I remember being curious if I could copy the results and paste elsewhere. And yes, you can. :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.