iPad Cool feature idea

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by tmanto02, Dec 10, 2013.

1. tmanto02, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I received an sms text message on my iPhone the other day while I was using my iPad. I was thinking what about an sms test message relay feature on the iPhone that resends the text as an iMessage to be read on other devices?

I suggested it in Apple feature requests.

Would others find this useful?

:)

2. joshforman macrumors regular

I suppose what Apple could do is is making make messaging sync part of iCloud so that all messages get synced just like any other app.

But for now I know VZW has a service that lets you register to let you send/get your SMS messages on the web and tablets

3. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Only problem is that you couldn't reply from the iPad, so it would be somewhat awkward.

4. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

When replying say on iPad or Mac it could sync the iMessage with your iphone then autosend as an SMS on your iphone

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I've felt this way many a' time. I really don't feel like it'd be that difficult to implement.

The more difficult part could be the opposite occurrence - you receive the relayed SMS from your iPhone to your iPad, but how does the system handle replying from the iPad? Does it iMessage it back to your phone, which then autosends it as an SMS to the intended recipient? Definitely some type of workaround would have to be implemented there, but probably doable.

Nevertheless, I would love this, and not just for my iPad, but from Messages on my Mac as well!

EDIT: Whoops, sort of just restated what you said prior to my comment. Heh.

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

True. It would be pretty convenient.

7. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I'm never away from my phone, so I don't really see the benefit of an SMS relay on another device, unless that device is my computer with the benefit of a full tactile keyboard.

Of course, I also have iMessage off on my iPad, so maybe I'm the wrong kind of user for this feature.

8. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Haha it sound like you are...