All iPads Cool iPad tricks and secrets!!!

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I own both the ipad mini and full size. I am constantly looking for cool tricks or secret tricks that make the ipad even more fun (all of this of course without jailbreaks and on iOS7) so I thought this would be a good place for people to post cool ipad tricks! thanks for any and all replies!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Well apples all about simplity so there's really not many tricks. The only trick I have is if your ever having a problem hold the home button and the sleep button at the same time and until you see the apple logo. That's called a hard rest.

----------

They blend.
Lol

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Open Camera app on both, make them both use the front camera, point screens at each other, what do you see?

:D

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Not a trick but . . .

Pushing the home button and the on/off button (on top) at the same time will take a photo of your screen (screen capture) and place it in your camera roll.

This is particularly nice if you want to remember a quote, link, dates or whatever and don't have time at the moment to copy them down.

Jhun80

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
You can split the Keyboard by putting two fingers on the middle of the keyboard and pull it apart.

LED

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
I don't know how well known this one is but for web browsing you can press and hold the period key on the keyboard and it will popup a shortcut to be able to type ".com", ".org", and a few other common ones. You don't need to lift your finger once the popup appears.

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
I don't know how well known this one is but for web browsing you can press and hold the period key on the keyboard and it will popup a shortcut to be able to type ".com", ".org", and a few other common ones. You don't need to lift your finger once the popup appears.
Ha! Didn't know this one. I swear some day I will start to read manuals! lol

keatth

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
From the lock screen, hold the camera and swipe up but dint swipe up all the way, throw it back down and watch it bounce, if you throw it down hard enough it will bounce back up far enough to open the camera app.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Go into Settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Shortcuts

Create a bunch of shortcuts for words or phrases you type often. This saves me time most when having to constantly log in websites with your email address. I create a shortcut when I type the first three letters of my email it automatically suggests the rest. You just push return or next and the complete email pops in the box. Saves allot of time!

Example: your email is email@icloud.com. Make a shortcut of "ema" for the phrase "email@icloud.com"

Have some fun making a bunch of shortcuts and you'll really speed up your typing! Another thing which is good, your shortcuts can be saved to the cloud so when you login on another device or restore your iPad, your shortcuts will migrate with your account.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Pushing the home button and the on/off button (on top) at the same time will take a photo of your screen (screen capture) and place it in your camera roll.

This is particularly nice if you want to remember a quote, link, dates or whatever and don't have time at the moment to copy them down.
I can remember when I first had an iPhone and my daughter had an iPod touch. She would borrow my iPhone to take pictures of her screen drawings or whatever. When I told a guy at work he told me this tip (in between the laughter). This made things so much easier.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Go into Settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Shortcuts

Create a bunch of shortcuts for words or phrases you type often. This saves me time most when having to constantly log in websites with your email address. I create a shortcut when I type the first three letters of my email it automatically suggests the rest. You just push return or next and the complete email pops in the box. Saves allot of time!

Example: your email is email@icloud.com. Make a shortcut of "ema" for the phrase "email@icloud.com"

Have some fun making a bunch of shortcuts and you'll really speed up your typing! Another thing which is good, your shortcuts can be saved to the cloud so when you login on another device or restore your iPad, your shortcuts will migrate with your account.
I already knew that one...it is really useful :)
I have probably 30+ shortcuts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.