Cool Mac Mini Uses

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dingdongbubble, Aug 22, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

I want to buy a new Mac and am pretty much decided on the Macbook but I have heard you can do some really cool stuff with the Mac Mini. Can you suggest something which might make me change my mind buut I dont want to carry crazy stuff like shoving it into a car.

2. Notron J. Antro macrumors newbie

I'm agonizing over my decision to purchase a 17" 2.0 c2d refurb imac from apple.com. It was 850.00 and it seems like a better deal than a tricked out mini with it's x1600 video card, 160gb 3.5" hd, and easily accessed memory. Screen size is what pushed me that way. I kinda like the oldskool imacs and it fits nicely on an anthrocart that is my main computer cart.

Still I keep thinking of the new 20"s...

But for my needs the 17" could be a killer computer. 17" screen and all.

I see they usually sell out quickly, so you have to check the store early in the morning if you want to find one.

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

WOW

I thinkt hats a bit tooo much for me. I am looking for something simple. Maybe like turning it into a DVR or home network storage server or FTP server. Mostly software but hardware would be alright.

4. smurfy macrumors member

SSSssh!

You're giving Sony ideas!

5. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey is it possible to make an all in one home server with the Mac Mini?

I can use it as a file server or something to store all the movies and pictures so anyone in the house can access them.
    I can use it as an FTP server so that friends can 'pull' pictures as tey like and also transfer stuff to me.
    I can use it as a DVR?

Is this possible with just one Mini?

6. paetrick macrumors regular

Yea ofc, but to buy a mac mini as a fileserver?, seriously waste of money, just build an own pc for 200dollar and you'll be more than fine (and also have a chassi to support many harddrives)

7. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

my ass hit the floor, thankyou!!!!:D:D:D:D:D