Cool! Motion Tracking!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pdpfilms, Jun 29, 2007.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Howdy,

I've been playing around with Motion 3 recently, and have been having some fun with the motion tracking capabilities of the app. Most notably, I've been playing around with some tennisballs in my yard and the Match Move behavior. I've been able to lock a video to the gound and make it look like it's floating just over the grass. Pretty sweet stuff, I'll try to post some video links here soon so you can see what I mean.

However, the main reason i started learning this was to do titling. Ideally, I'd like to do match moving with titles- insert them into handheld footage in various places. I'm having trouble getting these titles to behave in 3D though. I imagine I could use the analyze motion to track 3 points on the ground to tell motion what's going on spatially in the shot. Then, take that information and apply it to a text field, to mimc the movements. So far I've only been able to accomplish position and rotation in a 2D plane, and scale. The text won't leave the 2D plane, and thus ends up looking terrible.

Am I pushing motion too far? I assumed since the new version has true 3D and motion tracking, that they could be used together. Any Motion experts out there?

EDIT: Ef. I found this in the pdf manual:
    looks like Motion 3 isn't so "true" 3D after all. Maybe there's a way to fool it, or get around this?

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

There aren't many 3D tracking programs - not even Shake will do it. You're looking at something like boujou, but expect to pay a lot for it.

With that said, the 4-Point tracker can go quite far as it allows you to get the perspective right and it 'appears' that it is a 3D track.

P-Worm