Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Requirements:
  • 1. Android OS 4.3
    2. ActiveNotifications Android App by Great Bytes Software (link below)
    3. A Nexus device (or any device running 4.3 on a custom ROM)
    4. Cost: Free

What is it?
If you like the new Motorola MotoX Notifications that show up even when your phone is in sleep mode and the screen is off, then here is the app for you. I downloaded this app on my new Nexus 7 (since my SIII isn't on 4.3 yet), and found out that it works very similar to the MotoX. Only difference I have found is that it can only display your last incoming notification and not every single one. But this is essentially a Beta release and I'm sure that feature is coming. And hey, the app is free! If you are still confused about what this is, see the pics below. Also, if you have to enter a pin or swipe a pattern to unlock your tablet/phone, this does not bypass that!

Battery Life:
Not effected. Why? Because only a few pixels are actually lit up on screen. The current time and a graphical image of the type of notification. Nothing else.

Where do I get it?
The app itself can be found in the play store called ActiveNotifications (it will not show up for you if you do not have Android 4.3, unless you click the link below. Don't bother sideloading, because you need 4.3 to make it work. The new notification protocols are not present in 4.2.x and below.)

Link to app in Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications

Pics from my NSA certified/spyware ridden Samsung Chromebook: :D First pic is what the screen looks like in "sleep" mode. If you have a case cover or it is in your pocket or during preset "night time - do not disturb" mode, this will not come on.

Second pic is when you touch the screen on the icon. Swipe up to go to the notification (GMail in this case) or down to unlock phone and not go to notification. (You must still use a pin or swipe gesture if you have that enabled to get into the tablet/phone). If you do nothing, the notification stays on screen until the next one arrives.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-08-09-28-10.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-08-09-28-10.png
    41 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot_2013-08-08-10-13-25.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-08-10-13-25.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 139

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
bad ass. This is nearly identical to moto x. The only thing it needs is the "breath" feature

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Flashing the GE 4.3 rom later today - will definitely give this a try :)

You could also try knox2+ folks

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
after using it most of yesterday, I actually prefer to be able to pull down a lock screen to see my notifications. Maybe if I had a amoled screen and it pulsed I would keep using it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Support for 4.1 too. Tried it on my HTC One. Works. Pretty impressive.

----------

The annoying thing is that it replaces your lock screen. And it does so with a "01" in the upper ring. What is this? Battery gauge? Cause if so, it's inaccurate reading.

Hm.. don't think I can use this. Cool nonetheless.

EDIT: Actually it doesn't replace the lockscreen on 4.3. It does on 4.1 (One --- sigh, HTC).

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Tried it on my S4

I purchased the Pro Version because I appreciate the work the developer did to get this up and running so quickly. He must have had a lot of sleepless nights and coffee!! That being said, unfortunately, for myself, with the notification LED capability of my S4, I prefer Lightflow. When I am across the room, I can look at my phone and see the flashing LED and know by the color if I have a text, email, or missed call. I believe the programs are mutually exclusive. If the developer could ever integrate the programs or re-write his program to include the LED light as part of the program, it would be fantastic. Kudoos to this developer. He has really worked hard. Try the program, you might like it a alot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.