Cool night at the ballpark, burning hot iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Unconsoled, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Unconsoled macrumors regular

So I was at Safeco Park in Seattle last night to cheer on my home team Red Sox. The wife and I got our seats and pulled out our phones to take pics and email/ post to Facebook etc. Neither of us could send anything despite 4 bars each. Almost at ten same time both phones got wicked hot to the touch. Really really hot. We both turned them off. They cooled down quickly and about 15 minutes I turned mine back on to try again and it happened again. Again a half hour later. Nothing would send from either phone despite good service.

Any thoughts? First time that has happened to either phone. Mine was from day before launch day and the wife's is a week old.

2. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4 is very smart, it was not the phone, it was you guys trying to take pictures of they red sucks... You can't blame the phone for refusing and trying to burn it self before sending those pics... :eek: I never had any problems taking/sending videos or pics of the Yankees :D

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

I need to stop you right there for massive inaccuracy in this posting :rolleyes:

Go SOX!!!

4. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

You don't even need a camp fire, when you've got the iPhone 4!

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

The inability to send pictures was most likely due to the towers being overloaded. When I have that happen I turn off 3G and can usually get better luck with Edge.

As far as getting hot, I have no clue.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

Not sure about the heat issue. But the service issue, you do realize you were a big ballpark with thousands of people all trying to use their phones at the sometime. Lol. Typically, service is horrible at big venues. At times, I can't get a call through at parks. Do you have 4.0.1? Maybe the bars were showing incorrect.

7. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

should this be rephrased to "typically at&t service is horrible at big venues"? i've never had problems sending pics from my droid on verizon at sold out phillies games... haven't been to a game since i got the iphone though.

8. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Were you, by any chance holding the iPhone 4 in your hand?

9. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

My iPhone couldn't access data while at a crowded stadium as well. As mentioned, I believe it does have to do with the over-crowded towers nearby.

It's a shame because I cant success my fantasy football while @ a football game. Don't know about calls, but if edge works fine then that likely won't be problematic. My guess is the phones heating up is related to it attempting to connect to the towers though.

Btw, what is it with Yankee fans? Is spending the most money ever spent on a team really something to be that proud of? Shouldn't that gaurantee a championship every year?

Btw, let's see your NYKs beat our Celtics sometime this decade! Even Amare can't save that team. :cool:

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yes, AT&T is what I have.

11. thetexan macrumors 6502a

When I had AT&T and the 3GS my service was nonexistant when I was at things like baseball or football games. Hell, even a concert I went to I couldn't access data even though I had full bars.

This problem does not exist with other carriers. Last time I went to a college football game everyone with TMobile, Verizon, and Sprint could still access data, make calls, and send texts. Those of us with iPhones had worthless bricks in our pockets.

12. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I've never had one get super hot but every time I go to a venue with more than say 10,000 people I can't do squat with my iPhone. Friends all around with other AT&T phones or other carriers seem fine but the iPhone can't deal somehow.

13. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

I have never had a problem there with my original iPhone or 3G as far as sending pics or getting calls and mail. Like I said I understand there were possibly 2-3 other people there using cell phones :rolleyes: but it was showing full bars. The heat issue was extremely disconcerting.

14. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Just 2-3 other people in the whole ball park?

15. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

Joke. Note the rolled eyes? Someone asked if I realized there were thousand of other people using their phones so.......

16. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Hell yeah! This fellow Rhode Islander will back you up. :D I'm temporarily living outside of RI, but I was born and raised there.

17. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

18. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

When are people gonna realize that bars don't mean sh-t...

19. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Your heat issues is likely do to the phone repeatedly looking for a cell signal. Others are right, AT&T at large venues blows and often gets overloaded. The phone was probably switching between 3G and edge trying to lock onto a signal which in addition to the heat most likely ran your battery down quicker then normal.

All that said, I do think the IP4 runs hotter then the old ones.

20. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

21. Dtown213 macrumors newbie

That's funny. I had no problems ordering some stuff online on my 4 when I was at Target Field in Minneapolis watching a baseball game. There was also a Justin Bieber concert going on next door at Target Center too, no reception issues at all. I even took a phone call. I didn't have a case on the phone at the time either.

Maybe AT&T is just really good in downtown Minneapolis.

22. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Sox suck........ :D

By the way my iPhone doesn't work at Yankee Stadium either. :(

23. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Looks like your home team split a 4-game series with the lowly Mariners. Enjoy your October.

24. pawo macrumors member

half the teams injured LoL :(

25. T4R06 macrumors 65816

It's not the phone, it's the AT&T network which is sucks! Same thing happened to me when Boston celtics played here in CT for a exhibition match VS toronto raptors. We are using at that time
    a 3G and 3Gs. The nearest cellsite was not capable of handling a huge amount of people that is why you can't send data.. The stadium should have "COW" - cellsite on wheels. That's what we called on it. Basically it was parked near the stadium and supporting the tower that is overloaded..