Cool? Or pointless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drpellypo, Jun 30, 2009.

1. YoungLew macrumors regular

An EPIC waste of money if ever i seen one..............

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Pointless IMHO
    capturing video using your hands is perfectly fine for me

3. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

It's only going to be as stable as your hand, whether you are holding onto another device or holding onto the phone itself, you need to hold something.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Anyone looking to shoot professional video is not going to be using an iPhone. I agree with YoungLew, this is a complete waste of money.

6. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not true. The only way to get steady footage with the iPhone is to take your hands off it, and when you do, it's 100x steadier. Every film company in the world uses steadycam, which is an identical principle. The operator does not touch the camera, rather moves the mount. This is effectively just a shrunk down version of a steadycam.

I actually love it, but, it kinda loses focus (pun not intended!) of the whole point of having video on the iPhone. It's a 'snap out of your pocket and shoot' principle. For creativity though, if you are wanting to be a bit clever, this is awesome.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Not only is it pointless you'd look a complete idiot if you used one of these ;)

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wtf $295

What drugs are they on I can buy a nice real tripod for that. Thi thing makes no sense it might allow one to hold the iphone a little steadier, but not much. they are either looking for people with money to burn or figure peoiple with iphone will buy anything made for the iphone. geesh that thing is crazy dumb.. :rolleyes:

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Did you make it or something? You are the only one that seems to think so. And from what I understand a steadicam is completely different than what you showed us.

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Wow, an accessory that takes the place of your hand!

11. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Only if you need it for your job for some reason. Therefore, it's only worth the price if you can make more money by using it.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

13. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Whåt jöb ręqúîrēš ÿøû tõ fíłm wįth a 3gŠ

14. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope - I have no connection to Zacuto. I was sent the link by a Sky News Cameraman who agrees. Follow him on twitter: philipbloom.

15. Sam21 macrumors member

Am I missing the point here? Can't I just put the $295 towards a REAL video cam? Does anyone actually plan on using their iphone to shoot professional video?? I thought the video function was their just to film your drunk mates at parties and post to facebook/youtube..

If I pulled that thing out people would piss themselves.. until I told them it had cost me $295, to which they'd probably faint.

Seriously worst use of $295 I've ever seen.

16. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

No, drpellypo is right. Once you take your hands off the device recording the shots become ridiculously more steady.

It is kinda a nifty idea, but it is waaay overdone and way too expensive (even the consumer version). Although I could almost see some indie filmers using this type of solution for their low-budget films and marketing as a "new approach to indie. films".

Innovation is the key to the future.

17. Versus macrumors member

It's good for one thing. Someone who wants to make a professional looking (for whatever that means given the limitations of the iPhone) film on the iPhone. Now, the big question is, Why? Well, the answer is simple, to brag that you did.

I'm quite certain if a well scripted, acted, and shot film were produced on a 3GS the film makers involved would get some pretty decent press out of the deal, for no other reason than the fact that they were the first to attempt it.

However, any indie film maker that would indeed take a crack at such an endeavor would already have enough knowledge and the necessary equipment already in their gear bags to mock up something that could do what this accessory will do in a matter of minutes.

So, to summarize, it's absolutely pointless.

18. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Bingo! ;)

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I'm not doubting that it makes it steadier, I was simply saying that your hand is still holding it to some extent so it factors into the equation a little bit. From what I can tell it doesn't have the same steady-causing abilities that a steadicam has, but maybe it does who knows. I am no camera man.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Whoever would shell out $295 for that thing needs their head examined.

21. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

22. Sam21 macrumors member

23. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

It makes a huge difference. With steadycam, you have hinges that act as suspension but they only do this because the camera is so heavy. With something as light as the iPhone, the phone is braced solid by the aforementioned device, and the only thing preventing it from getting steadycam like shots is the barrel distortion on the lens (which is 100X better (meaning, less noticable) than any other phone/pda cam I have ever used.)