Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Here is a crappy couple of images of the patrol cars that my City uses. They are pretty dang cool looking. The rims are black with a silver hub in the center. It's kinda intimidating to see them in the rear view mirror...
Yeah, those are new Chargers. I'm glad to see many departments are switching over to something more reliable, powerful, faster, and safer [than the age old Crown Vic].

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Yeah, those are new Chargers. I'm glad to see many departments are switching over to something more reliable, powerful, faster, and safer [than the age old Crown Vic].

I know what they are. :p I'm also glad to see the switch. The V6 in the Charger is faster and more powerful than the V8 that the Crown Vic's had, or so I hear.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
My small old city still runs old unmarked Crown Vics, and Chevy Malibu so easy to tell if they are in the rear-view :rolleyes:

I am the only one who hates the style of the new charger/camaro/mustangs/ect.? I think they are horrible.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
rover sd1 area car :cool: I remember my dad taking me and my brother out for a drive in one when we were kids..one of the reasons i joined the job:D

They're not still using SD1s in your force are they :eek:

For those outside of Europe, the Rover SD1 Vitesse was the BMW M5 of the late 70s/early 80s - and was everykids dream car.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Once upon a time I read an article about how the Dodge Magnum was going to become the go-to vehicle for US police agencies, taking over from the "crown vic" style cruiser. Better gas milage, storage, etc. Now, it's years later and I've yet to see a single one. So, maybe that was a plant article by Dodge. Also, this was before the Charger, so maybe that's taken over for the Magnum.
Colorado has both Chargers and Magnums. Much better than the old Crown Vics.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

The Crown Vic - apart from the fuel tank issues (which have been dealt with) - are extremely rugged and very safe. Ford has been lazy with development of the vehicle though. The engine gets a very conservative tune that makes it very reliable but a bit underpowered and fuel economy is only adequate.

The V8 Chargers are bad-ass but get awful gas mileage. The V6 version is about equal in performance to the Crown Vic except that it has superior brakes, which is a very nice feature. It would be nice to see better fuel economy from the V6 but Chrysler probably figured that as long as it was on par with the Crwon Vic it would be competitive.

I don't like the fact that a lot of police departments continue to buy SUVs and trucks - they suck fuel worse than the cars because none have diesels and they are not as safe on the road, especially for aggressive driving.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
There was a subaru impreza police car in colchester but i havent seen it in a while kinda looked like this one

http://www.subaruwrx.com/Images/wrxcop01.jpg
Ugh. I hate ugly stuff on Imprezas (in this case, the lip below the bumper and the wing), and putting it on a police car just makes it worse.
well, usdm integra type-r actually
Oops. The front is cut off, which made the hood look longer. Put once I look at the front left corner of the car, I see that it's an Integra. :eek:
police-sti.jpg

Why is it sagging so much in the back?

Scottcop

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
We're the Sweeney son, and your nicked!

Attachments

• ford-cars-consul-real.jpg
    ford-cars-consul-real.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 167

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Not really that cool, but seeing more of these chargers all the time:

Attachments

• lopro charger.jpg
    lopro charger.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 169

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I think police cars is a tool to recruit staff...

the loooong one it was in taiwan. not exactly cars but heavy bikes.

and this thing was clearing the road for some VIP guy - which was no where to be found. there's just so many cop cars on the road and :p number place censored out lol

Attachments

• dsc00459ks8.jpg
    dsc00459ks8.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 156
  • dsc02569ir6.jpg
    dsc02569ir6.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 142

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
Ugh. I hate ugly stuff on Imprezas (in this case, the lip below the bumper and the wing), and putting it on a police car just makes it worse.

Oops. The front is cut off, which made the hood look longer. Put once I look at the front left corner of the car, I see that it's an Integra. :eek:

Why is it sagging so much in the back?

All the bad guys are in the trunk

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
There is some cool cars here! Better than the Ford Focuses we see around here!

Give us our Lamoginis!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.