Cool software

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
I fancy downloading and installing something cool. What do you recommend and why?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
In all seriousness *cough* mad_jew *cough* I would suggest Synergy and Adium. Synergy is a app that puts iTunes controls in your menu bar. I find it very convinient and well worth the $6.13 that it costs. Adium is Mac's answer to Trillian, except better. It is highly cusotmizable and is free. Both can be found at Version Tracker...

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Thanks guys! That reckless driving is cool time for a new "name your cool mac game thread" me finks!!

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
well i was after personal recomendations. Doesnt have to be a particular app for a particular thing. Chances are if one person finds it cool another will also. Afterall the cool people use macs right?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
AcidSearch to extend Safari's toolbar search field to whatever searches you want.
This sounds useful as I've been wondering if it's possible to change the google search to use the .co.uk site instead of .com

Does it work with Tiger? It says it only works with Panther but perhaps they haven't updated the website yet.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
dietcokevanilla said:
Does it work with Tiger? It says it only works with Panther but perhaps they haven't updated the website yet.
Works just fine. I actually didn't install it until after I upgraded to Tiger (since Firefox was my preferred browser under Panther).

An added bonus is that AcidSearch lets you enable a "Find As You Type" search for current pages too... :)

It's quite easy to add more searches. I use some of these every day (but a few is just for the h*** of it ;)):

Attachments

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Thanks for the info, will go and download it now.

I've also downloaded Taboo but not installed it yet. I'm also more used to Firefox (recently switched from Windows) and was hoping there was a way of enabling warnings when closing windows/tabs in Safari. Thanks for pointing this out :)