cool-story-bro: the "kleenex" issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sydde, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Anyone have experiences like this?

Our train was quite late, and the couple across the aisle were worried about being able to find a room. So I yelped hotels at our destination and let them read some phone numbers off the mini. They said the were having trouble getting her iPad to work. Later, I took the opportunity to help them with that. Turned out it was a wifi model, so I set up her iPhone for a hotspot and linked the two together. Curiously, as I picked it up to see why it would not connect, I notice across one edge of the iPad, "Galaxy" in silver letters.

Is the word fully generic yet?

2. cynics macrumors G4

Occasionally with non techie people I'll see or hear that. I'll politely correct them if it's appropriate.

3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

There was a funny moment when Steve Ballmer bought the Clippers and forced everyone to use Surface tablets and stop using iPads. Except everyone was still referring to everything as iPads.

I think it is a combination of one device/object becoming popular causing everyone to remember the brand name not the generic name and the popular device/object having a simple yet memorable name. So iPad wins over Samsung tablet. Plus Samsung has a few different models of everything and Apple just has the one model that comes with different configurations.

I think as long as Apple sues every company that tries to use iPad as a generic term (thus legally showing that they are defending the trademark) then it is not generic. They probably get a huge kick out of everyone using iPad to mean tablet though.

4. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I disagree - I'll bet they hate that the word "iPad" might become the generic term for tablets. Because then people go into Best Buy to buy an "iPad" and walk out with a Samsung thinking its all the same. No brand loyalty that way.

Just like I now go to the grocery store to buy "Kleenex" and I actually buy Puffs or the store brand cause it doesn't matter to me.