Cool Story, Bro

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roadking, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Roadking macrumors 6502

Just wanted to share my appreciation for Apple's Mobile Me "find my iPhone" application.

I misplaced my iPhone at work today and was scrambling around trying to find it. My phone was in an Otterbox Defender case in it's holster on my belt and I had it on silent. Somehow it popped off my belt.

Anyway long story short, thought of the mobile me app and logged onto my computer at work and it led me right to it.

So moral of this story... if you haven't set this feature up on your phone yet, do it! Well worth it.

Too bad I can't add this feature to my keys...

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Cool story, bro! :D Just kidding, it's very fortunate that you were able to find your iPhone.

I purchased an iPhone 4 in May and have yet to set up that feature. I really should though.

3. JReinn, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

JReinn macrumors member

Yeah, it's a really nice feature.. I also want to use "Find my Mac" but I'm not sure how to set it up.. Well, may Google have mercy with me...

Edit. From what I've read so far, "Find my Mac" isn't available unless you got a MobileMe account. I guess I gotta wait until iOs 5 and iCloud becomes available. Anyway, sorry for going off-topic.

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

I don't lose my devices. They are big enough where it's hard to miss them.

5. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Just curious, when I enable the feature and Im at home with my iPhone, it shows a dot on google maps where my house is. How did you manage to use it to find your phone if it was at work, I mean didn't it just show up as dot for your office? How did that help you find it inside your office?

AM

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Haha I did this once...and since my phone is on silent/vibrate 90% of the time its a much needed app. :D:p

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Zoom in on the map.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

The dot still covers half a city block, so I'm not sure how that helps you find a phone in an office.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The dot shouldnt cover half a city block. Unless its using celltower triangulation to determine location.
    If the GPS gets signal it should pinpoint it down to within feet of accuracy.
    I can see what corner/room of my house the iphone is located.

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Your location services must be un-calibrated. My blue dot goes straight to cubicle

12. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

It is indeed one of the best features on a mobile device bar none.

13. Papanate macrumors regular

It can't be done anymore if a person has not subscribed to MobileMe prior to June.

14. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I just set this up on my wifes last night. You don't need a full fledged mobile me account for Find My Phone.

15. Bloodkip macrumors newbie

Find my iPhone/iPad was free on 4.2.1. You just have to set it up on your iPhone/iPad

16. jenzjen macrumors 68000

How long until you get that precise? Maybe because I live in NYC? I just tried again with the phone on the windowsill and still getting the light blue circle spanning 1/3 city block.

17. Roadking thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if your phone is set to silent, you can have it audibly ring and display a message on the screen. You can also remotely lock and wipe the phone from your computer. Of course you can't do any of this unless you set you phone up before you lose it.

18. Roadking thread starter macrumors 6502

What makes you think that? People are setting up this feature everyday.

19. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Might be your phone just isn't picking up a good GPS signal?