Cool things to do with a new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samk8000, Dec 26, 2010.

1. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

I bought my new macbook pro today and brought it home, I am wondering what kind of cool things to do with it as I have had a pc for my whole life.

2. jdsmith1012 macrumors newbie

Depends on your definition of cool and what you will use the computer for.

I use Terminal a lot so I thought it was very cool to use the SIMBL plugin Visor (google Mac OS X Visor) which allows the Mac OS X terminal to slide down the screen like a Quake console.

3. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

What do you mean COOL??
    It's a laptop. Do a search maybe you'll find something COOL.;)

4. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I'd recommend a program like SeisMac- turns your MBP into a seismograph by plugging into the motion sensor ports. Not sure if its OSX specific but its pretty cool to do anyway...(I wasted my honeymoon period by importing 100+ classical music cd's and manually sorting out the ID3 tags:( ) but yeah, the mac software at cnet will be like a whole new shop for you!

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it's a computer dude, it won't change your life. since you're coming from a pc you'll have a slight learning curve, but just use it and search this forum for a lot of tips. enjoy!

6. runofthedill macrumors member

i think he meant like cool things to do when you get your fist mac or something, things that make the computer more functional or stuff like that. LOL, remember when I got my last HP i did everything to make it look like a mac, Got a rocketdock and cleared off the whole startup screen, lol.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Then he doesn't need a PC either. :D

Oh well, the kiddies with new toys...

8. Messy macrumors 6502

lol never seen that piece of software before, thats pretty cool!

9. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Ha Ha, yes! If it'd be possible to sync it with a pinball game for that true nudge action it'd be a-mazing! (knacker my computer in no time tho)

10. runofthedill macrumors member

actually, good place to ask this question, Anybody know any software thats great for editing and tagging music? I hate editing artist names and stuff in ITUNES, and sometimes when you torrent they dont have the artists or song titles in, just the id3 tag and on windows I have a program that converts this into the different fields.

11. Kyffin, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hi, yeah I prefer to edit the ID3 tags before importing into iTunes too, for this I use 'Musorg'- its free and does the job. http://download.cnet.com/Musorg/3000-2141_4-127314.html?tag=mncol;1

@Richard1028: The post that you partially quoted me replying to has been taken down; my reply has therefore lost both its context and gravamen. For shame, sir, for shame.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

BUT ITS NOT JUST ANY COMPUTER....

[​IMG]
    ITS A MACBOOK ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111 /Apple fanboy cult

Jokes aside I found great joy in running as many intensive applications at once as possible and watching my MacBook hold up where my windows laptop would have straight up stopped working. Oovoo/skype video chat, youtube, DVD movie, bit torrent, all at the same time on my base model MacBook Pro? I think that's pretty "cool" Idk about you! Although I am always looking for something else cool to do in general so if anyone has anything epic to do on my new computer please dont hesitate to tell me :D

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I think the MBP is pretty cool and a year and a half after purchasing it, I still find it as much fun to use now as the day I bought it. Here are some COOL things

1) Type in a pitch black room and smile because you can see the key
    2) Turn the brightness of the screen up in a room with significant ambient lighting and notice you can still see the screen due to LED backlighting which is relatively new technology to computers
    3) Download: Coconut batter, iStat Pro, Caffeine, Xbench, Carbon Copy Cloner, TechTool Deluxe and other popular programs to max your experience
    4) Take a picture with the built in camera (this is my only laptop of 10 which has ever done this
    5) Enjoy the long battery life
    6) Browse all of the FREE PROGRAMS available to Mac users...there is NO way Microsoft would ever let this many programs out for free. Bill Gate's fortune might dip slightly below 10000 billion dollars.
    7) Enjoy that due to the structural integrity of the 1 piece aluminum, you can hold the computer in one hand on one side when it is open and lift it up. On many plastic machines, this can actually damage the motherboard because the plastic flexes much more than the aluminum
    8) Ride in a car or a bumpy train and enjoy that when bumping up and down, your screen only unfolds about 140 degrees and therefore unlike other laptops, it wont eventually be at 180 degrees leaving you with an iPad with a full size keyboard
    9) Spend a billion years on Unix discovering practically anything you want to...oh well that may not be fun to everyone