Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
There are a few things wrong here.
1- the iPhone does not have the ability to use the headphones as an antenna.
2- radiation is all around you. It is a myth that having a cell phone near your head increases radiation by any effective amount is false. Maybe about .5 watt or less but you get hit with more just living in a city - think fm and am radio, wifi, cell phones etc.
3. We know exactly how much radiation comes from the iPhone. It's called the FCC.

Yes I know. But we don't know how much radiation travels haphazardly up the earphones, due to them acting as a physical conductor being attached to the metal iPhone. It wouldn't be traveling up through the audio wire of course.. just hitching a ride on the outside of the cable, very much like what happens with the wire telephone game.

alikaalex

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yes I know. But we don't know how much radiation travels haphazardly up the earphones, due to them acting as a physical conductor being attached to the metal iPhone. It wouldn't be traveling up through the audio wire of course.. just hitching a ride on the outside of the cable, very much like what happens with the wire telephone game.

Probably less radiation than we received from our computers while reading this forum. I would say a trace amount at best and probably less likely to harm us than the smog we breathe on our commutes.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

Dude...

Cell phone radiation is harmless. It's such a little amount that it literally CAN'T hurt you.

But whatever.

AFAIK radiation doesn't travel over plastic...

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
In general you never get good audio quality from a fm transmitter plus the build sucks on most. My opinion if you can at all costs don't use one.

Because I had the same poor experience with FM transmitters, I got a Bluetooth receiver with an audio-out stereo plug that fits the audio-in port of my car radio. Here's a link to the device on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Britelink-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Portable/dp/B0059M4G9K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346194591&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+receiver

I use it with an iPhone to play podcasts, Pandora, and Internet radio, but it would work just as well with an iPod Classic and a Bluetooth transmitter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SYN2837A-Bluetooth-replaces-Streaming/dp/B003KRFGPY/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346195120&sr=1-9&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter+for+iPod

(I also use an iPod Classic in the armrest with steering wheel controls and display on the Nav screen---works extremely well as others have said.)

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Because I had the same poor experience with FM transmitters, I got a Bluetooth receiver with an audio-out stereo plug that fits the audio-in port of my car radio. Here's a link to the device on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Britelink-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Portable/dp/B0059M4G9K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346194591&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+receiver

I use it with an iPhone to play podcasts, Pandora, and Internet radio, but it would work just as well with an iPod Classic and a Bluetooth transmitter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SYN2837A-Bluetooth-replaces-Streaming/dp/B003KRFGPY/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346195120&sr=1-9&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter+for+iPod

(I also use an iPod Classic in the armrest with steering wheel controls and display on the Nav screen---works extremely well as others have said.)

Seems like a lot of work if you have an audio input you could just use an AUX Cable. Or am I missing something?

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Seems like a lot of work if you have an audio input you could just use an AUX Cable. Or am I missing something?

You've been talking to my wife, eh? Did she also tell you how silly I am to have AppleTV when I could just cable from a MBP to the TV? Or that the speakers I installed in the ceiling above the kitchen table didn't really need to attached to an amp and Airport Express so I can beam music to them wirelessly? She just doesn't accept "because I can, and it's cool" as a good reason.

I try to talk about how messy wires are, and how convenient it is to be able to pick up the iPod/iPhone/MBP and pass it around the car, or be able to see the screen easily when scrolling, but if all you're interested in is getting things done practically and inexpensively, well...

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
You've been talking to my wife, eh? Did she also tell you how silly I am to have AppleTV when I could just cable from a MBP to the TV? Or that the speakers I installed in the ceiling above the kitchen table didn't really need to attached to an amp and Airport Express so I can beam music to them wirelessly? She just doesn't accept "because I can, and it's cool" as a good reason.

I try to talk about how messy wires are, and how convenient it is to be able to pick up the iPod/iPhone/MBP and pass it around the car, or be able to see the screen easily when scrolling, but if all you're interested in is getting things done practically and inexpensively, well...

Bro chill. I wasn't saying you are silly I was just asking. But really having one cable is that much of an issue then it's what ever. Have fun with that. And as to your other points they don't really make sense, because Apple tv and the airport express work well with multiple devises so I can see why people run them and you don't have to worry about running a bunch of cabling.

Last edited:

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
The Classic solution

Er...

I fire up mine... and take it for a walk.

My original reason for buying the Classic is unchanged. Music or audio books available as I walk.

I need no other purpose.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.