Cool tip... (moving icons in the menu bar)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
So I never figured out how to move the volume, airport, bluetooth, iChat, etc.
icons in the menu bar. But after disabling the bluetooth icon and then re-enabling it, I noticed it had moved. So after tinkering with different modifier keys I figured out this:

hold down the apple (command) key and then click and hold down on an icon in the menu bar, then drag it to the desired location and release.

I know a lot of other keystrokes/ modifier keys, but this was one I thought not many people knew.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yep...and dragging them off of the menu bar while doing that gets rid of them in the puff of smoke. Much easier than going into System Preferences to disable things...

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
WildCowboy said:
Yep...and dragging them off of the menu bar while doing that gets rid of them in the puff of smoke. Much easier than going into System Preferences to disable things...
Was guessing that, but didn't want to try it and have to hunt down the preference to reactivate it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
corywoolf said:
So I never figured out how to move the volume, airport, bluetooth, iChat, etc.
icons in the menu bar. But after disabling the bluetooth icon and then re-enabling it, I noticed it had moved. So after tinkering with different modifier keys I figured out this:

hold down the apple (command) key and then click and hold down on an icon in the menu bar, then drag it to the desired location and release.

I know a lot of other keystrokes/ modifier keys, but this was one I thought not many people knew.
Thanks for the tip corywoolf! I was not aware of this. :)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Thanks.

I couldn't figure out how to move them before other then using System Prefs.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
Good one! i was actually trying to fugure out how to do this the other day...

Thanks!

Edit: Hmmm... you can also get rid of menu bar stuff by command dragging them on to the desktop... this was also new to me!