Cool video interviewing the editors of Transformers 2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sonicjay, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

They used Media Composer (Avid), but they mention using iChat theatre to screen clips, and Bay's MBP as well. It's basically an Avid commercial, but it's a cool clip:

http://vimeo.com/5988987

2. xStep macrumors 68000

You're right, it is a Avid add.

You can see similar Apple ones for Final Cut Studio here. In the Crafting Tetro video, legendary editor Walter Murch clearly states that FCS is applicable to Hollywood productions.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think they just used regular iChat to pass files back and fourth since iChat theater wouldn't have been around while they were editing the film.

I know it's all marketing BS, but you'd think they'd stay away from such an obviously false statement. I mean, at least qualify it w/"in my opinion" or something.

Lethal

4. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I thought it was interesting that they included them talking about the problems they had. I've known people who have used Avid on many levels and they all have god-awful bizarre problems. At least on a $200M movie you get a tech there to help you out.

5. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

In his defense, he does say "He doesn't know...." That's not a false statement of the company's.

Of course, I can't think of a $200M movie that didn't use Avid software to make it false, either.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

This is a little off topic but, when Lucas or Bay shoot a film in "Hi-Def" does that mean they shot the film digitally with a 1080 res?

The reason I ask is I would figure the Pro's would shoot at a higher resolution. I know Pro cameras have super expensive lenses/chips but still.

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

they didn't shoot HD, the editors are talking about doing the offline edit in HD...

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Fox went all FCP a couple of years ago for their film editing and big budget movies like the "Curious Case of Benjamin Button" use FCP so the statement, to me, is still a bit much even by marketing standards.

Lucas shoots in HD (1080), Bay shoots on film. But like bigbossbmb said, in this piece what they were talking about was offline editing in HD. Directors like David Fincher, Michael Mann, Robert Rodriguez also shoot in HD.

Lethal

9. Sonicjay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Yep, I've seen those as well. I really like watching this type of stuff, despite it being laden with marketing propaganda; I just like the glimpses behind the scenes, and thought this clip in particular was kind of cool since I've been a fan of Transformers since I was a kid. Interesting discussion here as well; thanks

10. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

This is all you need to know about Transformers 2 anyway (could be NSFW). :p

11. xStep macrumors 68000

That was a fun read, but as long as the movie!