Coolbook and Unibody Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hmai18, Oct 31, 2008.

1. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Is the Coolbook software compatible with the new unibody machines? I ordered one to replace my 12" iBook today and would like to keep it running cool and quiet as possible.

2. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

I've never heard of CoolBook, but I use a KoolSink and it does a good job cooling and makes no noise.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I know what Cookbook is. You owed a Macbook Air before, didn't you ;)
    (I did too) The good news is, you won't need it. The new glassbook runs really, really cool. Much cooler than all the MBA, white MB, black MB that I owed before.

4. hmai18 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I'm more interested in CoolBook for undervolting the processor and getting a bit of extra juice from it.

. Nope, as stated in my original post, I'm coming directly from a 12" G4 iBook.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Having played with the MB for a couple of weeks, you won't need Coolbook. It was a very cool running machine.

6. watergun macrumors regular

I did install it and all the readings (voltage, temp, etc.) were empty so I sent email to the software developer and the answer came back negative - CoolBook currently does not support the new MacBook yet.

7. hmai18 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. zelik macrumors newbie

tested on my unibody macbook pro

I had the same results as previous poster, it seems that the values showed up as 0 when I first installed it and the driver it requires and autoinstalls during first startup.

Then, I quit the coolbook app, reboot, ran it again, and viola, it shows the frequencies and volts.

Since I have no registration, I can't test it but I purchased it (the 2nd one I purchased so far, used my last reg. on my sister's Air) and am waiting for the license. I think he manually approves the registration stuff so it will take a few hours before I get my license to tweak and test.

I'll keep you all posted.

9. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

^ Hey, I just install Coolbook on my alubook. Same as you, I restart and the values show. It only show three values and I can only add two values which I can adjust the voltages. So, it must be an issue that it is not fully functional?

10. zelik macrumors newbie

Strangely, I downloaded the new coolbook just released and it supports "half" bus rates on the unibody macbook pros now (at least the option shows up) but if you press "Defaults" a wide crazy range of frequencies ranging from 133 to 8000+ mhz shows up.

I didn't want to experiment so I deactivated coolbook. I'll wait till more information comes along. I DO want to half freq. when i'm on battery but that is just a little bit too odd for me.

11. barryst macrumors regular

the latest coolbook (2.13) is supposed to add more support for the unibodies.. any experience with it so far?

in the manual it states:

So does it work or not with the unibody macbooks? like to know before i pay for a registration key.

EDIT: ah just noticed it seems to be specific to the santa rosa macbook pro. I'm on a 2.0 alu macbook. anyone running coolbook with my laptop?

12. barryst macrumors regular

so i went ahead and registered coolbook

these are the default values

adapter
    1596mhz 1.000v
    1862mhz 1.375v
    1995mhz 1.1375v

battery values were the same.

any suggestions on where to start in terms of values? i don't want to lower them too much and cause any damage or something

thanks

13. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Yeah, me too. In fact, I have several of them in my kitchen cabinet.