CoolBook freezes OSX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derlockere, Jul 11, 2009.

1. derlockere macrumors member

Hi Folks!

My problem: I configured CoolBook in the way that it shows the CPU temperature in the menu bar. After registering, whenever I want to start it my OSX freezes :( It seems that it freezes when CoolBook tries to enter the temperature in the menu bar, as I can see the coolbook icon, but where the temperature should stand, there is a white blank space on the menu bar. (Before registering it worked totally fine, but there are less settings accesible for the menu bar integration, so I assume that the additional options let it freeze)

How can I edit the preference file of coolbook manually (and where is it acutally located) with an editor to switch of the integration in the menu bar (I hope that it works afterwards)

Hardware is a mid2009 Macbook Pro

Cheers, Sebastian

2. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

IDK, it stores all the plist files in the app itself, if you right click on it you can "show package contents", I'm not sure what plist to delete/modify though as I found a few.

You could always just try re-downloading the app and having a clean copy.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Did you actually change the processor settings with it? Freezing is a symptom of a unstable CPU, so if you actually dropped the voltage with it, you may have gone too far.

4. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

He say's whenever he starts coolbook it freezes, so it is clearly not an undervolting problem because your computer is always undervolted even if CB is not running.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Mine isn't. (SpeedStep doesn't count). And the OP was rather vague as to whether he'd changed vcore settings or not.

6. derlockere thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for net specifying all my settings in depth :(

In fact I didn't change anything up to now, so it should not be an issue due to CPU instability! trying to go through the plists as mentioned by reallynotnick!

Cheers

Edit: Got replay from Magnus and he solved my issue. Wonderfull support from this guy! :thumb: