coolbook on mbp 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nubbythebear, Aug 19, 2009.

1. nubbythebear macrumors newbie

I am trying to get coolbook working on my 2.4ghz mbp. i have the latest version. I am testing the pairing for maximum frequency on the lowest voltage. I have gotten to 2400mhz on .95 V and when i run the cputest on huge, 2 instances, and for about 10 minutes my machine seems to be fine. My computer does not experience any errors or kernel panics when I have the maximum frequency and lowest voltage. Am i doing something wrong? if this is correct then the guide seems to suggest I just use this setting?

each time i bumped up the frequency from 2000mhz (the frequency i started testing on) the cpu temps did seem to increase but even on 2400mhz it seems to stabilize in the high 60s Celsius. i do have smcfancontrol and when it gets to higher temperatures my fan kicks in at higher rpm like 4200 rpm when i test the highest frequency and this is with default fan settings, not ones i set.

am i doing this right? i looked through the two documents that came with it several times

2. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

You really should test it a little harder to make sure. For example I was able to get clock and voltage pairs to pass on enormous but not on 'all'.
    I ended up testing all of my pairs on all and did it 10x, (takes 1.5-2 hours for each pair depending on clock speed) and then once I knew it was stable there I even bumped the voltage up one notch.
    Basically I am taking no chances, there is pretty much no way my MBP is going to kernel panic due to be undervolted.

3. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

You seem to be doing right, keep going with down with the voltages till you get an error and then when you do bump it up 1-2 voltages. Then like the poster above suggested I would run CPUTest on All 10 times (Make sure you set 2 instances).

Once thats done you can be almost certain that your CPU is good to go at the lowest voltage.

4. nubbythebear thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions. I did what you guys suggested in trying to push my computer a little harder by testing on all. I still seem to be getting the same results. I have spent the morning testing and I will be testing the 2400mhz with .95 V but I just finished testing 2300mhz with .95 V and i seem to be getting similar results as before leading me to believe the 2400mhz will work as well. So basically it seems like coolbook can't do anything to help my machine. Do you think I can get some use out of coolbook? Should I put in the 2400mhz with .95 v as a pairing (assuming the tests run okay)? And should I add some other pairings as well?

[​IMG]

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

:confused:
    Did you mistype or something because coolbook will defiantly help your machine as the default voltages are over 1.125v for those clock speeds and your saying you can get it down to .95v with coolbook. That's a good improvement.