Coolest feature with Mountain Lion on a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajcadoo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

If you're cooling fans are on a little higher than normal, and you activate Diction, the fans will quiet down as you talk, and then resume to its previous speed.

I don't know why, but stuff like this says "Steve Jobs" like nothing else. Such an interesting feature that probably isn't needed, but is nevertheless cool.

2. kurayami88 macrumors newbie

nice to know...

but i guess u better not talk for too long if ur fans are blasting away... u might overheat ur system ...

3. drmountaindeww macrumors member

Obviously this is so the fan noise doesn't get in the way of the accuracy of the dictation but yes, this does seem rather nice and 'Steve Jobs'-like.

4. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

My fav feature is imessage in osx. Didn't think is use it, but it is convenient.

5. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

This was discussed on another thread a while ago. When the fans are at max RPM, starting dictation will not slow down your fans. ML assumes that ou need the cooling more than the increased accuracy.

6. ajcadoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

Very true. I wonder if there is a fail safe to prevent that?

7. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Ironically, many Mercedes-Benz vehicles do that as well. The W211 212 as well as the W220 and W221 S-classes will lower the climate control fan speed while speaking commands, and resume the speed when completed. Also ironic that he had a high level of respect for Mercedes-Benz engineering.