Cooling a MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Creebe, May 2, 2011.

1. Creebe macrumors newbie

I'm trying to find a good laptop cooling pad for my MacBook. When I play games, like Counter-Strike: Source, my temperature can reach up to 80 degrees celsius with the fan speed at 4000RPM (smcFanControll).

Suggestions?

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well with things like these, it's best to either have some sort of hard object like a destk or something metal that will absorb the heat and act as a heat sink.

80 degrees Celsius isn't "that" hot so you shouldn't have a problem running the cpu at that that temperature. In terms of comfort for you, if you have one laying around you could get a skinny, hard backed book laying around the house or something of that nature and sit it on your lap.

No matter how much ventilation you have, the MB will always heat up, that's the result of the processors and other internals causing heat when put under stress. Unless the temperature in the room is somewhat low (and I mean around 70 F) it's going to stay hot.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most cooling pads have small, noisy fans that don't push much air.

I use the mstand for passive cooling.

4. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

There's nothing wrong... I get the same temperature.
    You do know that the mbp will shut itself down in case something bad happens?
    Dont worry about it. Just play. You wont get significant changes with any cooler. I have a chilldesk mini XL that plugs in the usb port (and you can plug another usb item into the cooler) and while it's very handy for the lap, as a stand and is cheap, I'm not getting more than 3-4 degrees celcius.

Your mbp is build to handle the high temps. Enjoy it!

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yea I never understood how blowing air on the bottom of the MB will cool it in any way; the fans are on the inside and shoot hot air out; blowing on the thing wont' do squat lol.

You would do more by putting it on a slab of metal and using that as a heat sink or something.