Cooling and Temps on a G4 Tower

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by garycurtis, Sep 13, 2011.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

My Mac G4 is running at 41° C, according to Temperature Monitor. That equates to 105°F. Is that within accepted limits?

I have a supplemental fan in a PCI slot, the main fan in the power supply, and a CPU fan attached to the Sonnet Crescendo CPU. Makes a bit of noise, but not objectionable.

2. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Yes 105F is more than normal in fact that is pretty cool. I assume that 41/105 reading is from the drive bay? The CPU and GPU temps in my MBP can easily hit 150F under heavy load an this i a Core 2Duo Laptop!! My Quad Core G5 can easily hit near 200F for GPU/CPU temps, thats pretty close to boiling water but still no problems.

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Like said. You are cool. Maybe you don't need that extra PCI fan? Although that fan might be for the ethernet card. IIRC my old G4 had a small fan behind the CPU for that. Here are my temps from a G5 Dual 2.0.

HD Leopard 122°
    HD: Tiger, iLIFE 103°
    CPU A 139°
    CPU A Ambient 79°
    CPU B 130°
    CPU B Ambient 81°
    Backside 117°
    Drive Bay 86°

4. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Temperature Monitor is a Made in Germany shareware utility. I don't know where or how it senses temperatures. I did go through my G-4 chassis and tape off open passages so all the air flows through the power supply inlet and fan.

The auxiliary fan in a PCI slot sits next to the Graphics PCI card and exhausts to the outside. The CPU fan blows through a bunch of heat sink fins and I guess that airstream just gets picked up by the power supply and PCI fans and dumped externally.

Thanks for the info.