Cooling down my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theman, Dec 27, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I've been playing games like HL2, CoD4, etc. on my MBP and it gets pretty hot. Fans spin up really loud, which is annoying. It doesn't overheat, it's just loud. I also want to start running some distributed computing like Folding@home on it, which would cause the fans to be 100% all the time.

I am looking for some kind of laptop cooler, and I'd like to know which ones people have had experiences with and if there are ones I should stay away from. What do you recommend? Do these things even work?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I use smcFanControl, not a cooler as such but works
    for me

3. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, except for the fact that smcfancontrol just speeds up the fans, which is what i want to avoid. that was the whole point of my post.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I love my Cooler Master ‘NotePal’ it matches my Macbook Pro nicely. To be honest the only problem I have with it is the bottom portion of it blocks the CD drive and the button to open the lid, which is only to be expected. I hardly use the fans on it because the macbook pro sits flush on the surface so there is no place for the air to go... anyways I've always believed as far as the MBP goes that conduction works much better the convection in regards to heat transfer.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I bought a cheapy laptop cooler from Newegg. It's fairly quiet, and seems to do the job.

7. the caveman macrumors 6502

hey try this -remove the battery when playing games, and fan dont spin as loud , proven on my macbookpro, im hardcore battlefield2-2142 player, so i always remove battery and it helps, (assuming u gaming in xp via bootcamp.)

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

get a xbox or something then

9. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I use a koolsink stand for my mb and it does cool rather good and i like the fanless design but since you are gaming i'd suggest getting an active cooler stand...I also like the notepal coolermaster...another good one is the antec cooler...don't get the macmice cool stand (it's the worst stand I have ever used)