Cooling fans running more often than before :(

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ump3, Jul 15, 2007.

1. ump3 macrumors member

ump3

The cooling fan(s) in my MacPro seem to be coming on far more often than when I first got it (about 10mths ago), it was almost silent compared to my G4. Any ideas why this might be happening? I've looked inside and it doesn't seem excessively dusty.

Thanks

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

is it hotter (outside temp) than it was 10 months ago? i had a powermac g5, and the fans were always on during the summer and on warmer days. the fans would rarely turn on during the winter.

3. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

get some compressed air and clean it out. dust can prevent the cooling fins (on the CPU they are hard to see) from working properly and cause the fans to ramp up to compensate.

4. ironic23 macrumors 6502

Did you happen to install more RAM modules? If you bought 3rd party RAM, it could be that the heat sinks aren't dissipating heat well enough as per Apple's specifications therefore, needing the fans to kick in.

Adding more HDs to the system can also increase the heat and result in the fans revving up.

But as the other poster said, use a can of compressed air and clean the fans and heat sinks in the system.

Monitor the temperature of your system (Temperature Monitor is a good app) and if after dusting out the fans (and making sure that the RAM modules are up to spec.) doesn't help, post back and maybe the other members on the forum who are more knowledgeable can help.