Cooling for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samediff, Jun 20, 2012.

1. samediff macrumors newbie

I've ordered a MBP 15" (non-retina), and want to know what peoples opinions are about cooling sticks/mats/holders that keep the laptop cooler by supposedly improving airflow. Do they work and do they make that much of a difference? I intend to use the laptop at both home (games) and work (code monkey), so it is on almost as long as I am awake and will get a decent workload; I imagine it will get very hot (if my old late-2007 17" MBP is anything to go by).

I've read about the thermal paste and dust in fan issues, and for the purposes of this thread I want to ignore them (thermal paste - I'm not that inclined especially if it could put the AppleCare at risk, and fan cleaning is something that I will do once in a while).

So, what do you find works well for keeping the laptop cool? I guess something that could fit in a laptop bag would be nice, so can ferry from work and home, though always easy enough to buy another later if they really do a good job.

Thanks,

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

The MBP doesn't cool from the bottom so sticking something on the bottom of the computer won't do much of anything.

They will get hot when you are really taxing the CPU, but stay within reasonable levels with basic work. Same could be said about most laptops.

3. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Aside from the Mstand mentioned above, the Lazy Couch Stand would work since you mentioned portability.

4. BlackSky-J macrumors newbie

or you can just use SMCFanControl. You can control your fan speeds so you can cool it off.

5. samediff thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that's really neat and portable. Have you used them yourself, does the laptop move much on them or is it quite stable and solid?

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

This is wrong.

Elevating the machine with something like a targus podium increases airflow and aids cooling.

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Good thing I mentioned anything about elevating it :rolleyes:

8. dHk macrumors member

One thing you should not do is put something like a book to raise the macbook. It heatsup the book and eventually the mac tol. get a profesional one.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

the processor and video card are heat sinking to the bottom, anything that can help cool the bottom makes a huge difference.

10. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

12. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

13. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

14. samediff thread starter macrumors newbie

15. theBostonian Suspended

I just got back from my local Apple Store to try out various Macs, the Retina failed to wow me, I noticed lag when I used a non optimised resolution.

As for the non-retina MBP, I did a /dev/null test on it using 8 terminal windows and left it for 5 minutes. According to iStat pro, the CPU heatsink (it didn't give me the actual CPU temp for some reason) didn't go above ~55-60. Strangely, the GPU diode went up to 70 but I have no idea why.

I tried to listen for the fans but they were playing obnoxious music so I couldn't hear anything.

Tl;dr I don't think you really need anything extraneous to keep the new MBP cool.

16. samediff thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool ok good to know. My existing MBP 17" gets hot pretty much doing nothing (always has), so I was expecting worse from the newer models. Guess I'll find out in a couple days when it arrives :)

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

It's quite cool in the apple store and it's on a counter. On fabric they get toasty!

18. Queen6, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you are concerned elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the head back to the base of teh Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work relatively efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple Notebooks and is highly portable.

[​IMG][​IMG]

As also stated you can use software to manually override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control, or you can look at UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp.

Why, well if you want this level of performance in such a small chassis this is one of the trade offs, just wait until you try video transcoding with Handbrake ;)

19. theBostonian Suspended

Yes, but on fabric an iPhone can get toasty lol.

Also I don't think all Apple Stores are the same. No, in this instance I'm afraid, with all due respect, that I must disregard your point as being irrelevant and therefore my point still stands that, based on the /dev/null test the 2012 may be cooler than the 2011.

20. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

21. Aodhan macrumors regular

If you ever use your MBP in clamshell mode, I use a BookArc. It works really well to help cooling and looks nice too.

22. XandeR803 macrumors member

Do you have the laptop upside down or right side up? In other words, is the air venting from the top or the bottom? In all their pictures, they have it right side up with the air venting from the bottom. I wonder if it'd be better upside down?

23. Aodhan macrumors regular

I have it right side up in the BookArc. There's nearly two inches of clearance between the bottom and the desk, maybe closer to an inch and a half. Either way, it's more than enough to allow for good air flow.I certainly could flip it over, wouldn't make any difference really.