Cooling pad for 15" MBP - any advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kemo, Jul 8, 2009.

1. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Hey, please gimme some advice what Colling pad should I buy, because I cannot see these temperatures ( starting at 48 Celsius and ending about 85 Celsius!). I think, there must be a way how to cool MBP effectively - not with fans at max and still get these temperatures :mad:

I was testing some cooling pads with fans but with no effect - temeperatures sometimes get down about 2 Celsius! So Ive looked around and found this one:

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/NBcooling/R14AN01/R14AN01.asp

When I place my hand under MBP and it has about 70 Celsius, bottom side is extremely hot and table under it as well so I think this pad should make a job perfectly, what do you think? Will this cooling pad take some heat and cool down MBP about 10 degrees? When I was reading review I was almost decided, but I think best idea is to ask you, definitely there must be someone who is using cooling pad with MBP and could tell me what is good or not...

Also check out this review: http://www.dvhardware.net/review130_3_thermaltake_t3000.html

Thank you for replies,

Tom

2. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Looks good, although I don't think that cooling pad is designed for use on your lap. The underside of the pad looks like it is only suited for tabletop use.

I ordered an Xpad recently for use on my lap - mainly to keep my legs cooler. It should be here tomorrow, so we'll see how it works.

3. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Well, I dont use my laptop on legs, most time I have it on table, or sometimes on bed..

Okay, please send me a message with your little "review" about that pad, by the way, what laptop do you have?

4. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Those temperatures seem to be about the norm for idle/heavy use, honestly. The electronics themselves are designed to function over the expected temperature range for the lifetime of the machine. Cooling pads are a waste of money, especially if you don't even use it on your lap.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Get a textbook. In my unconventional testing it was more effective.

7. oregon2 macrumors regular

I would assume this is only true for the average use... people who spend almost all their time on the internet and rarely utilize or stress their components. Is it actually safe to game on a Mac for an extended period of time? I bet if I did this regularly, I would kill my uMBP within two years.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Great, so with a cooling pad you lower the temperatures by 5 C and extend your laptop's life by a month.

Like I said, waste of money.

9. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I'm only getting one to keep my legs cooler after a couple of hours.

10. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

heh, okay..changed my mind, thanks for many replies! I really Appreciate it!

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're looking for a cheap way to make your machine run a few degrees cooler, put something under the two support pads closest to the screen hinge to tilt it a couple of degrees. This will make it easier for the hot air to travel out through the vents at the back of the machine and also makes it easier for air to circulate underneath.

Post-it notes work well...

12. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Yea, Ill give it a shot!

13. suekitch macrumors regular

I had one for when my laptop was on a desk... a Zalman NC1000. Fantastic. Cut my Windows laptops' temperatures by 20 degrees whilst gaming.

14. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Yeah, there is it possible, because fans taking from bottom side and getting hot air off the laptop from behind (or left side) so this pad is 100% effective, but here with MBP is a little problem with that, the bottom side has no vent and it works like passive pad, so if I add under my laptop this pad: http://www.dvhardware.net/review130_3_thermaltake_t3000.html It definitely should take heat from bottom side and spread it to those heatpipes, dont you think?:)

15. danj122 macrumors member

im very interested in getting the zalman zm-nc1000 but can anyone tell me the difference between that and the zm-nc2000 ?? Also will it fit a 17inch macbook pro?

16. 0B1 macrumors member

has anyone tried the targus chiilpad yet?
    also interested in the (pricey) antec notebook cooler 200.
    i'm more interested in comfort of use on my lap, but wouldn't turn my nose up at a cooler running mbp.
    Ideally I'd like something which is built for comfort and cools without fans .

17. Igantius macrumors 65816

18. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

19. Igantius macrumors 65816

20. suekitch macrumors regular

The size. The NC1000 is for laptops up to 15.4", the NC2000 is for up to 20". You need the 2000 for the 17" really IMO :)

I remember before I bought it one of the reviews out there was comparing temps for a MBP and it was still very impressive. Or maybe it was on the box itself - can't remember :) But since the air under the laptop is that much cooler (and it really is!) it obviously still makes a great difference - think how a MBP's temps vary in a cold room to a sweltering hot room.

21. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Well, dont you think this pad will have more efficiency than zalman mentioned above? I really tested it, and about an hour I was running WoW on MBP and temperatures was about 78 Celsius, with or without the pad, so where is that difference ?:(