Cooling Pad for 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cdrgold, Apr 24, 2011.

1. cdrgold macrumors member

I do a fair amount of gaming on my hi end 15" MBP. Things get a little hot when i am playing games, so i am considering buying a cooling pad. I have an old akasa cooling pad which i was using with my old dell xps m1530, but the pad is all metal, and i am worried that it will scratch the bottom of the mac, plus, the mac doesn't sit properly on this stand.

Therefore, i was just wondering which cooling pads you guys use with your mbp and if you could recommend me one.

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

This looks good:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Notepal-Notebook-R9-NBC-8PBK-GP/dp/B002NU5V4A/ref=pd_sim_e_5

And this!:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Notebook-R9-NBC-8PCK-G/dp/B003ZMF27G/ref=pd_sim_e_3

I've used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Chill-AWE55US-Black-Gray/dp/B002NU5O9C/ref=pd_cp_e_3

(another 17" MBP person loves it)

3. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I like the look of the last one. The others look like they angle the laptop a little too much. In one of the pictures they have an ipod dock at the front to stop the laptop from sliding off! Has anyone had any experience with the coolers with a specifically designed for macs? Or are they just a waste of money

4. kowalabearhugs macrumors newbie

kowalabearhugs

It really doesn't matter which brand of laptop you own, those cooling pads work by simply lifting your laptop off the the desk (your lap, etc) and providing airflow across the case/ports. Have you tried placing rubber bumpers underneath your laptop? Often, just raising the case is enough to increase airflow.

Remember, for cool & quiet operation you want large, low rpm fans.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

true.

And for MBPs, getting a Speck case or something similar that covers the bottom - make sure there are air holes as well, otherwise the heat gets trapped. Not cool. :D

6. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

I have tried raising it a little, but I have found it hasn't helped much when I am playing fairly demanding games. Well, the cooling pad I currently have is meant for a 15" laptop, however, the mbp doesn't seem to sit properly on it thus making the laptop lack any grip. So I don't really want to order another pad and find I have the same problem.

7. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Not to bash but this wonr help mbp users much. Where does the heat come out? The back. Why you want To have fans blowing aie into the alu.

These are for laprops wich have several air filters/holes under the laptop. So it canr blow inn air from under and blow it out on the sides/back. Mbp doesnt have intakesmunder the laptop. So this is useless.

8. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

But surely if it keeps the base of the mbp cool that has to count for something.

9. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Sorry for all the typos. Ipad is hard to type on sometimes.

Well, no it wont help much. The whole point of those coolers is that it pulls the air inside the internals of the laptop and exhaust it out on the sides etc.

When the air hits the aluminium it will just travel around the mbp. You cant cool 70c warm aluminium with 17c air. The whole point is that it pulls the air on the inside. Therefor on acers,asus etc this work because off all the grills/holes on the bottom.

If you want to cool aluminium you have to use a different type of cooling. Since the air doesnt reach the components.

This is physics 101.