Cooling Pad or Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BRIANxJAY, Aug 24, 2011.

1. BRIANxJAY macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

What is a good Pad or Fan would you guys recommend? I would like to get one when I use my Mac book for long time. Thanks

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Don't bother with a powered pad. Just get something that will prop the fan away from your knees and will keep the hot surface off of your lap.

1. Saves Battery.
    2. Costs Less.
    3. Works just as good as a fan.

[​IMG]

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If it's for the laptop, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's for your lap or for when you use the laptop on surfaces like a bed, then something with side vents.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The vents for all Apple Portables are behind the display. This makes it easy to inadvertently block them and cause heating issues.

You must always be conscious of these vents and properly elevate the laptop.

Never use the notebook on a bed or other soft surface without a smooth-surface pad that allows free air flow.

Something like this wood lap desk would be ideal. Again, zero energy, zero noise, and it will never clog with dust or burn out.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I use one of these. Simple, thin, light, robust, and a pleasure to use.

http://is.gd/IzEqyD

6. BRIANxJAY thread starter macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

So I don't need a Fan? I get scared of the MacBooks over heating.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Why?

1. Are you using it on your lap.
    2. Are you using it on another soft surface.

These notebooks are designed (of course) to be used as they are. Just don't put them on the wrong surface or block the vent and they will perform as they're intended. Apple would never release a laptop that wouldn't function properly without some dinky add-on.

8. BRIANxJAY thread starter macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

I am afraid of it over heating, and when I use it on my lap it gets very hot.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

There is the problem. It isn't designed to be used on your lap.

Buy a hard surface to put it on (as I linked in my previous post) and it won't be so hot nor will you feel it.

Have faith in Apple's hardware design team. They wouldn't release a notebook that would melt without an add-on.

10. BRIANxJAY thread starter macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

Alright thanks! I saw something like that at Target for half the price.

11. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Hey guys,

My mid-2009 13" MBP has been running hot and I thought the same thing; stop using it on our laps/soft surfaces that block the venting behind the monitor but my wife has noted that even when it's sitting on the counter, it still gets very hot.

Should I be concerned or is that par for the course? I haven't run any benchmark tests or otherwise to see if it's running hotter than what it should, which poses the next question; what is the maximum temp. these things should run?

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Firstly, you should open Activity Monitor and check what your CPU usage is like.

Let us know the percentage of CPU being used as well as what the highest-CPU activity is. You want to click All Processes in the pull-down menu. It says My Processes by default.

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I swear by my Podium stand.
    -No electronics to break
    -Lightweight
    -Cheap
    -It swivels
    -Elevates the screen to a more comfortable level if you use it on your lap (heat rises, out the back)
    -Best of all, it opens the entire bottom surface to air, reducing fan load and surface temps.

14. VMMan macrumors 6502a

On the lap I use the Logitech cooler with the single fan located near the rear of the computer.

It's light, cheap, and I like that the fan is underneath the hottest part of the MBPs.

Besides the heat factor, I just like having a little extra space between an electronic item and my own flesh (and gonads).

15. Tralmek macrumors member

I've kept my 17" uMBP propped up on a couple of DVD cases on my desk (and bed when I use it there) to keep it cool. That plus smc fan control generally keep the temperature manageable, even on the W7 side. However tonight I was running Hellgate London and even on minimum settings it felt like the keyboard was going to melt. After less than 20 minutes it shut down from the excessive heat. I ended up having to set it down to the minimum 16:10 resolution plus minimum settings in order to play for longer than that.

So now I am definitely in the market for a chill pad that will work well with this computer. It's not just for the one game, I do a lot of CPU & Graphics-intense work and gaming on both sides of the computer, and would be much more comfortable with temperatures in the 80's rather than the high 90's I typically run at.

I do agree that if you're not doing something that's particularly CPU or graphics intensive it's probably sufficient to prop MBP up on something, whether that's a specifically-designed pad or just a couple of books. Much cheaper, and very effective.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I was using a podium until I found an even sleeker solution.

XPad offers all the advantages of podium and more. It's far lighter, has a nice grippy texture on the bottom for great balance & control, and it's just 0.5" thick. Designed for my 17" MBP, it's silver to match. Because it doesnt need the bulky risers like the podium I can easily slip it in my bag to go.

http://is.gd/08jVia

17. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

I use a Targus X Stand. It's simple, no fans, portable.

You can find it here.

18. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Well, I was going to wait until the MBP got hot to check and report back but now I've got some interesting findings.

First, let me say that we're relatively light users. Pretty much downloading and browsing. The extent of our gaming is flash games on facebook. So, by no means, power users.

Now, I just installed iStat Pro just to see what temps the MBP is running and even though physically, on the table it's not very hot to the touch, the app is reporting CPU temps of 140°F! The CPU is currently at 92-95% free with the biggest processes being Firefox, Chrome Renderer and the Dashboard Client.

On another thread, they were reporting normal temps at 95°F so you can understand my shock when I saw 140°!!! I'm thinking that's not reporting correctly but any thoughts?