Cooling pad or fans for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tadros86, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

I know this question has been asked many times before, but since it's 2011, I figured to see if any better solutions have come out. Does anyone use a cooling or fan system with their macbook pro? If so, what do you suggest? I'll be doing a lot of audio and video editing on my new 17inch and I want it to keep cool as best as possible. Can't afford any shut downs during a session.

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I do have a cooling stand. I got this one off Amazon for $30.

I got it more for the actual stand and extra USB than the cooling, but the fan does seem to help.

However, with or without the fan, my temps have never gotten anywhere close to the point that MBP was about to shutdown.

On another note, with that stand my 17-inch sticks out a little less than a half inch on each side.

3. MACAPALOOZA macrumors member

as you probably already know, there are some applications that can control the speed of the fans on the MBP, but if you are wanting an external fan, i can give you a few examples. There is a Metal Cooling Stand Fan that works with all laptops by Rocketfish that works pretty well. They also have a few at Walmart. If you are going to be doing editing and things like that on the go, you might wnat to get one that is battery operated. most use a usb cord to power it though, which drains your battery by an hour at most. SMCFanControl is the best application so far for controlling the Fan speed on the MBP.

4. legreve, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I would suggest that you look into the Danish design "chilldesk". I bought two myself and it's very customizable. It will work as a normal inclined desk which you can sit with on your table or lap... or you can raise the whole setup forcing the screen to eye level while mounted.
    The material is durable but lightweight. The finish is matte and pleasing to the eye.
    The Included fan can be placed anywhere you want, in suck or blow position. It's powered by usb with a through socket so you don't lose a port because of it. Max rpm is only 1200 but its enough to provide the extra help and its dead silent.

[​IMG]

5. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

I have been using SMC Fan control, but during video editing - at least on my 2007 MBP - the CPU runs at 100 degrees for hours. Figured that's not too good for my CPU, even though I haven't had any problems yet. I was looking at the Zalman ZM-NC1000-S Ultra Quiet Notebook Cooler. Anyone have experience with it?

6. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

And by the way - I rather have something with an external power supply, but if I had to use USB, it wouldn't matter cause the computer won't be going anywhere while I'm using it intensely. Just sitting on my desk doing some editing.

7. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

Definitely will look into this one, thanks!

8. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

Right now I am using rubber blocks on the four corners of the laptop to elevate it in hopes of giving it some circulation room. Doesn't really work though.

9. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I've used this bad boy with a 17" SR MBP and a new SB 15", and it's worked wonders. The nice thing about it is that the fans are at the back/top of the pad, which is where the MBP tends to generate the most head. The adjustable fan speed is a nice touch, too—turn it down for daily work, then up for intense stuff.

10. oxband macrumors 6502

The fan that the last poster recommended is no longer sold. Any other recommendations people might have for a good fan for a 17" MBP?