Cooling Pads Recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smurfed, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Smurfed macrumors regular

Lately my Macbook Pro has been running hotter than usual.

Looking to invest on a good Cooling Pad, Extra USB ports are welcomed.

Anyone of you recommend a cooling pad that you currently own?

2. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

anything that doesn't interfere with your notebook's existing cooling system. That may sound like it goes without saying, but a colleague of mine bought a cooling pad once; the bottom was supposed to draw heat away from the notebook (not a Mac, btw). All it succeeded in doing was blocking the fans that were on the bottom of the laptop that the guys at the store didn't see.

Her notebook, after about 45 minutes of use, was too hot to touch, and it crashed shortly after that due to the memory getting fried.

I like the iLap myself; doesn't do any active cooling, but its cheap, draws some heat away, and gets my MBP off of my lap when I'm using it away from my desk.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

You consider $50 for an iLap cheap? I have seen one in person and was not that impressed.

4. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

damn; I just assumed they were cheap since its a pretty simple design. I got mine as a gift, and never bothered to check the price of it.

Still, I think I would've bought one anyway (or at least something similar to it). Its fantastic for when I'm sitting back on the couch and working away; keeps my legs nice and cool instead of ridiculously warm. But hey, to each their own, right?

5. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I too have one and have been please with my purchase, although I will say it is a little tough to swallow that you are spending 50 bucks basically for a piece of metal... With that being said, my family notoriously has had carpal tunnel and that is how I convinced the fiancé on letting me get one of these for this purpose.

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

Hold on a second. You people are actually buying a laptop cooler for a laptop that doesn't have any fans/openings on the bottom??

I thought these coolers were supposed to be used on laptops who like like this on the underside:[​IMG]

What use does it have if it's just blowing against a flat surface? It's like mounting a fain to blow against the side of your desktop machine that doesn't have any holes.

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Although heat won't get pulled out of the computers vents, a cooling pad will keep the hot bottom of the laptop away from your desk/lap. And I used one on my VIAO (when I still used my VAIO) which had no vents on the bottom, and I noticed that the temperature of the CPU dropped by 7 degrees while doing the same exact task, don't ask me how it helped. If your just going to be using the MBP on your desk, just set it on top of some pencils (my el cheepo method) it actually works because there is more room for airflow under the laptop. If our going to be using it on your lap, get a iLap if you want the design to match your MBP plus they also make great stands for your computer, or just go to Best Buy or you local office store and get a cheep Targus cooling pad, they don't look great, but they work.

Don

8. pinktank macrumors 6502

Get a bouncing ball, cut it in half and put it under the back corners, should help reduce it several degrees

9. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

You can try these

http://www.chillpak.com/

My friend has one of those and uses it to keep his Macbook Pro cool when playing games.

10. pinktank macrumors 6502

There is also this, which I didnt try but reviews talk about it a little

11. Smurfed thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.
    I was looking at that same model earlier, I'll be considering that model.

I have something similar to these but when they're touching something hot for too long doesnt the Gel get hot and stay at that temperature also?

12. Brend macrumors newbie

xstand

Hi, I use the Xstand fron Targus. Its great, it can collapse into a small package when not used and it cools my laptop easily 10 degrees c. Use this in combination with smc fan control and you are set.

Attached Files:

13. pinktank macrumors 6502

14. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

A few days ago, I ordered Lapcool and now I'm waiting for shipment. The device itself looks very promising. I hope, I'll be able to give you a quick review in the next week.

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Be interested to hear how it turns out Spooky.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

17. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Regarding the Chill Pak, I don't know the specifics but my friend had bought 2 paks and rotates them around (keeps the other one in his freezer). He claims that one pak is good for at least 2 hours. Keeps his laptop cool indefinitely when gaming. He says that the good thing about these is that there is no condensation. Not sure about the ice packs though.

18. modojojo macrumors newbie

I have the Targus with the extra usb ports and It definitely keeps the bottom of my MBP cooler, compared to the MBP without It.

19. supermackid macrumors newbie

No condensation? What?

I'm confused. There is no way to prevent condensation. When humid air is cooled, water precipitates. When the air inside my MBP precipitates, it will short circuit.

:apple: = happy me

20. Aboo macrumors 6502a

The Zalman NC2000 or NC1000 are excellent notebook coolers. They may be a little on the pricier side, but in my experience, they are well worth the premium.

21. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

If my MBP gets too toasty on my lap, I stick one of these under it...

[​IMG]

Doesn't have any USB ports, unfortunately.

22. blitzraider macrumors member

I use the cooler master notepal. It was very elusive here in HK. I bought the last one for my 17 MBP. It fits perfectly. It has a power buttion and 2 usb ports. To hear the fans, you would have to put your ear very close to it. Lastly, the whole thing is aluminum and comes in three colours, so passice cooling also works. I love it.

Some pics:

Attached Files:

23. rsmcool macrumors newbie

The thing is, I don't really use my laptop on my lap. I really use it as a portable desktop. If I wanted to actually use my laptop like most people do, I would have bought a regular MacBook, or a MacBook Air.

I really don't care about keeping my lap comfortable. I just want my computer to be cooled so it performs faster.

24. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I find using mine on a granite work surface works wonders.