Cooling Pads

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Redsfan, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Redsfan macrumors regular

My daughter just got her mbp today and loves it, as do we. We are in the market for a new pc and may might the bullet on one of these bad boys as well.

I currently had an oversized ugly black Thermaltake Fan and it actually works quite well and does cool the pc down. Do many of you others use a fan? Any harm they can do, i.e.. staying too cool or just let it be?

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I can't speak of any harm that they may do. But from my experience when i'm really pushing my rMBP, cooling pads and extra fans do little in terms of keeping it cool (or reducing the heat much). I borrowed a friends cooling pad whilst rendering some video and other things and it only made a 3ºC difference, so it was more hassle then it was worth for me.

3. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

In the past I've just place my Macs on a cool surface when it starts to get warm. It could be a lap buddy like the ones kids use in college. Or a magazine. Anything to transfer the heat. The heat has to go somewhere and thats why you Mac gets warm.

I wouldn't spend any money on a fan. Buy a nice neoprene case and sit it on that when you are using. I have a Tucano Second Skin thats works as a carrier and a place mate.

4. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

This is the one I use for my 15" MacBook pro retina. It doesn't have a fan but it keeps your lap and MacBook cool naturally. It's very comfortable and light also. A little on the pricey side. It can also be used on a desk. They come in different sizes not sure which model you have.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0006DV6A4?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

5. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

I know for our old hp I went through several cooling pads before I came across the Thermaltake one, and it worked wonders. It is 15" which isn't ideal for the mbp but no hard in using it when it gets a bit hot...

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I have the Zalman types with the USB sound and ports at rear, not beautiful but very functional and their fans are always quiet. Got the 15 and 17 models, but for clients recently I've supplied their newer model which tilts and folds level to help chill a pair of rendering Mini's at a time.

7. Freyqq macrumors 601

I use one when at home. It isn't necessary, but it will keep the components cooler. There is no such thing as too cool when it comes to electronics. That is always a good thing.

When a laptop CPU gets to a certain heat level, it starts to slow down to cool off. It takes a lot of effort to get to that point, but a cooling pad keeps it from ever hitting a high level.