Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I am pretty excited.. my 15" mbp is coming today, and I am trying to think of all the accessories I am going to want for college. Can anyone recommend things I should buy?

So far I plan on buying:
neoprene sleeve
A laptop backpack
A lock for my computer to chain it down to my desk
VX nano wireless mouse

and I am thinking about buying a cooling pad. My brothers old macbook got really hot, so he had one of them. Is it necessary for the mbp, or do most people just leave it sitting on their desks? If so, which is a good model? For some reason i think they are so ugly, and would rather not use one, but if it is necessary, I obviously will. Is anything made specifically for the mbp?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I am pretty excited.. my 15" mbp is coming today, and I am trying to think of all the accessories I am going to want for college. Can anyone recommend things I should buy?

So far I plan on buying:
neoprene sleeve
A laptop backpack
A lock for my computer to chain it down to my desk
VX nano wireless mouse

and I am thinking about buying a cooling pad. My brothers old macbook got really hot, so he had one of them. Is it necessary for the mbp, or do most people just leave it sitting on their desks? If so, which is a good model? For some reason i think they are so ugly, and would rather not use one, but if it is necessary, I obviously will. Is anything made specifically for the mbp?

Dont bother with a cooling pad. You will never use it and MBP dont get that hot. Get everything else that you said. Also get some RAM, here is a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148087. You can get 2 2GB Crucial RAM for $33.00 each after rebate. Thats a great deal!!

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
if i buy ram, do i need to buy two sticks of it? Is there one, two gb stick in my computer already? What type of ram should I look for?

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
if i buy ram, do i need to buy two sticks of it? Is there one, two gb stick in my computer already? What type of ram should I look for?

apple will always send matched pairs, so you're going to get 2x1gb chips. So you will need two ram sticks. Good luck! I also agree that you don't need a cooling pad, my mbp never gets that hot.

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
Agreed. Had one, didn't help. I would suggest to keep the vent in back clear and/or prop it up.

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
I use a U-Suit leather case, it's a plastic cover like the speck with a leather covering over it, I thought it was raise the temps, but they stay pretty much the same, the difference is that I can use it on my lap comfortably even at full load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.