cooling stand for macbook pros. are they any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crizal, Jan 5, 2011.

1. crizal macrumors newbie

hello everyone..

i have a quick question.. i was hoping to get me one of these cooling stands, maybe with integrated usb docks, for working at home with the external monitor and some peripherals.. either from belkin or logitech.. but a friend of mine who owns an older macbook (one of those white ones, with detachable battery) told me that a belkin cooling stand killed his battery.. he also told that the manual says to remove the battery of the macbook if it s being used with an ac adapter and cooling stand attached to its usb stick, cause that the stand might drown the battery in a bad way..

it got me a little bit scared.. i own a new macbook pro 13" and so far no problems with extra heating.. but like said, it s also not the reason why i am buying a stand.. it s more for the tidiness on my desk.. :)

so i was wondering now, how the situation is, cause the batteries on unibody mbp s cant be removed at all.. so have you heard anything about such a problem? or is it an urban legend maybe? should i get me one of these products? and if yes is there any other things to consider?

thanks a lot for your help..

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why use a cooling stand at all?

I use a Rain mStand and I have no issues with batteries or heat

3. crizal thread starter macrumors newbie

well, like said, no particular reason.. i thought instead of buying only a stand, i would buy a cooling stand maybe with usb dock.. so two birds with one stone..