Cooling suggestions and overheating problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by growl28, Jul 29, 2011.

1. growl28 macrumors newbie

I decided to try and game on my new macbook pro 13in (2011) with:
    2.7GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Idle my cpu is usually at 35-40 degrees (Celsius) and the rest of my enclosed base's 30 degrees with the fan running at 2000rpm
    Knowing that MacBooks aren't gaming laptops, i decided to try and play Starcraft 2 Demo before buying it and i noticed that the fan ran 6000 rpm+
    and the cpu went all the way to 90 degrees while the bases stayed the same!
    And this is on the low graphic settings too!
    So im wondering if i continue to play Starcraft 2 at 6000rpm and 90degrees cpu will it damage my laptop in the long run? and i was running what might be some solutions to my problem?
    Id also like to find a cooling pad/fan that is designed for my mac, cause i know the fan/vent is underneath the screen so im wondering some products i can buy (no matter what the price) that will help keep my macbook cool and fan to a low!

Thankyouuu :)

2. dsio macrumors regular

That's normal. Nothing will keep the fan low, whether you're running at high settings or low settings, the game is still trying to generate as many frames per second as it possibly can, hence your load will be 100%. At 100% load, the fan will run at max ~6200RPM and the CPU will run at 90-92C. The vent blows both above and below the hinge, and conducts very little heat to the base, so there are no products that will improve that.

3. growl28 thread starter macrumors newbie

So will there be long term damage on my macbook pro if i keep on using it like that? other than it being hot?

4. dsio macrumors regular

Not in the slightest, the chip has the ability to throttle itself in the event of an overheat, but 90-92C is normal operating temperature.

5. growl28 thread starter macrumors newbie

but theres no fans or cooling pads that can keep my macbook from overheating? i heard from numerous posts that some cooling pads can cool up to 15 degrees and it isnt as much strain on the fans

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You could get those cooling pads from best buy or microcenter, but I'm pretty sure macs have a built in setting to prevent it from overheating issues.

Try this from Amazon. Friend has it: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...F27G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1311990037&sr=8-7

7. dsio macrumors regular

There's no strain on the fans, they're operating within their designed range. The MBP isn't overheating.

8. growl28 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. superericla macrumors 6502

I would guess that about 99% of people complaining about heat "issues" don't have any serious problems with their computer's cooling system. The processors were designed to withstand heat over 100 Celsius so even at 90 degrees there's no serious issue. If your computer was truly overheating it would shut itself off.

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You don't even have a temperature problem, let alone an overheating problem. You'll know when it overheats, it will shut off if it's operating properly or deform if it's truly defective.

11. growl28 thread starter macrumors newbie

So do you think a cooling fan isnt nesscesary? i plan on getting one. will it cool down my cpu?

12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

A "cooling" pad or whatever is a waste, and not going to give you any meaningful decrease in temps.

Just use your laptop, as long as it doesn't start shutting itself off, you're good.

13. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

A cooling fan draws air from the center of the bottom of the laptop.... There's no vents there. Cooling fans aren't necessary, it won't cool down your CPU. Don't buy one. It's fine.

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Cooling fans don't really do too good of a job in reducing temperatures. You'll maybe see a 5 degree difference or so, depending on the cooling fan/station/stand/dock/whatever you are using.

You can pick one up quite cheap. It probably won't be worth the price though.

15. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

The only thing a cooling fan is good for is that it keeps you lap from burning.

The only time you can call it an overheating problem is if, like others have already said in thousands of other posts, your MBP shuts down by itself to protect the CPU. Otherwise it is not overheating and operating within normal specs.