Cooling system for MBP - nessecary or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gravee, Jul 4, 2008.

1. gravee macrumors newbie

Hey everyone I'm coming close to purchasing a macbook pro and I'm reading the forums trying to learn as much as I can about it but the one thing I don't know is if a cooling system is nessecary for the mbp. I've never owned a mac before and I'm not sure how it is with heat so let me know if you use one, know someone that does, or know if it is something nessecary to have.

Also, would a cooling system affect the mbp in a negative way at all? like causing damage (im assuming no but i just want to make sure)

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

not sure why such a thing would be necessary. What are your concerns here?

3. gravee thread starter macrumors newbie

im concerned with heat problems because I've heard rumors of the apple laptops exerting(sp?) higher amounts of heat

4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

You do not need one. It is true that MBP do get hot, but a cooling system will not be necessary. Also, the most recent update has seemed to address some temperate issues, at least empirically.

5. gravee thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks I probably won't be getting one then :)

6. !on macrumors member

all laptops experience increase in temps the more apps & things you run at any one time.

it's your choice but you need to take most things you read in forums with a pinch of salt. i hardly think a company like apple would like to see there reputation go down the pan because of faulty or dangerous parts. even so, any company can make mistakes & on rare occasions there may be product recalls.

i would worry about mbp when reports come in about them burning down peoples houses, melting and/or scalding people. which they don't. personally i don't get any heat issues & i would be more concerned about the cheap & nasty end of the market. you get what you pay for.

7. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Most cooling pads won't be as effective on the mbp because they have no vents on the bottom of the case for the fans to suck out the hot air.

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

My MBP hasn't given me any need for one whatsoever. I cannot even say it has truly gotten "hot" besides a bit warm...

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No heat problems with my MBP either

Welcome to the Mac family!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The MBP feels a bit hotter because it dispatch heat thru the aluminum chassis,
    if you feel the machine is a bit too hot, just use smc fan control and boost the fans abit.

With 2850 rpm (not noticable) i'm sitting now with my MBP 2.2GHz on the lap outside where its about 25C atm and my computer CPU is at 39C and the machine doesnt seem hot at all.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

[​IMG]

I'm sitting in my room here in Japan, the room temperature is around 33°C. My MBP's temp floating around 51°C (seems normal), the coolers are idling around 2248RPM. I'd consider this to be completely normal!!

Till I load up Maya, render a scene and crunch some numbers. Then the heat goes to 85°C with both fans whirling towards 5000~6000RPM... It's only then, it's hot enough to cook an egg.

Mmmm... 美味しいよ!:D

Still, I don't think I need a additional cooler!
    The built-in dual fans are pretty effective at removing heat from the delicate silicon chips, just download and install SMCfanControl to give you (the user) a little more flexibility.

12. lordthistle macrumors 6502

My MBP does get hot, too hot, incredibly hot even when just surfing and reading eMails. Nowadays I sweat when using it even if in my office where the AC is on. To stop sweating it is enough to stand up and stay 1 minute away from the MBP.

May be aluminum is not a great idea after all. The heat's not just related to processor or GPU, but also and may be more to HD. In this machine even the airport controller is at 50C. The GPU, when simply reading macrumors, is at 60C.

A MB in the same room is perfectly usable. Its fans run faster, has slightly lower temperatures (2-3 C) in the various components. It's plastic, I know...

But may be my MBP has a defect.

thistle

13. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

i have an mb sitting under an iStand that has an MBP on top (my wife and I share the same computer desk) and her MB stays cooler but the fan is always running. My mbp will only run hot when I am working (FCP, Motion, Cinema4d, etc.) but when it's idle or doing email it cools down fast. I never hear it's fan. I think aluminum chassis are going to be like that, just like the aluminium hd cases that i have. They get really hot but it's not a problem...the drives work fine...and the ambient air here can get to 30c + all day and nite...

14. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

lapinator

http://www.lapinator.com/

you can buy something like that or make something like it on your own. My CoreDue MBP gets pretty hot under load (78 degrees C) but I don't feel any of it.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

16. brodeur macrumors newbie

yeah, because aluminum is a metal and thus conducts energy, the laptop will feel hotter on the surface... whereas with plastic laptops there will just be the fiery winds of hell coming out of the back.