Cooliris

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bonsai1214, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

does anyone use this neat little plugin? is it worth the tryout? does it hog resources?

i'm running the safari 4 beta, so its not compatible. is it worth reverting to 3.1.x?

thanks

2. Bonsai1214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I am running this in Firefox 3 and I have to say it is cool eye candy anyway! Keep in mind that sites have to make themselves compatible, so far from all are at this point- although several of the ones that are most benefited by it are- you can see the current list on that site at: http://www.cooliris.com/demo/?view=shop

BTW- note that the link you provided was to the Firefox 3 version.

Can't comment on the resource usage as I have yet to find a an active process spawned by it, but of course it could be some bizarre name and I don't really notice small processes on my MacPro.

So overall I would just say that it has a very high initital "cool" factor, but I have not found myself really using it for anything- but of course your usage may vary. I might be able to use it in Amazon as they show on the download page that it works there- but I have yet to find anything in Amazon that is enabled! :(

Rather than downgrading to Safari 3, you might just want to install FF3 and try it there first to find out if it is something you might use.

4. Bonsai1214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the site changes depending on which browser you use ;)

but if its not a system hog, i might as well try it out at some point on ff3

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, there is no reason to revert back to safari 3.1.x, Cooliris was called PicLens previously, its most "candy" function-3D pic/video wall, as shown in that video preview- is NOT available for safari version, even when you use safari 3.1.x.

6. DigiCatRedux macrumors member

DigiCatRedux

I tried Cooliris & PicLens for a week or so. It's initial neato-factor wore off somewhat after that, at least for me.
    I use it sometimes now & again, but it's not really what I'd consider a "must have" application.

7. sharifi14 macrumors member

Is Cooliris open source?

I very much like the concept of Cooliris and would like to modify it in some way. Is it an open source program? If so, does anyone know of any tutorials to go about modifying it? Many thanks,