Coolpad that actually works ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by /dev/toaster, Jan 31, 2008.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

The number of lock ups I am getting due to heat is getting worse. Anytime I play WoW, I will lock up within 30 mins if I don't have a fan pointed at the machine. (using a household fan pointed at my desk) Needless to say, its really starting to get on my nerves. I love how Apple support claims that the intense heat of the Macbook pros is normal ...

Anyway, can anyone recommend a coolpad that will ACTUALLY WORK ? I have purchased 4 so far that don't do jack.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I use THIS one and I like it. It matches my WhiteBook nicely and seems to keep it nice and cool although I've never had a heat problem despite the fact that I have a 7200 rpm HD. It also goes on sale for about $20 quite often.

-GDF

3. LeftoverCrack macrumors member

4. Designer1 macrumors member

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

One other thing to consider: The real problem with a lot of cooling pads is that some aren't quite shaped to fit on the rubber pads at the bottom of widescreen laptops like the MBP. So you end up with the top of the pad pressed right against the bottom plate of the laptop, and not enough air is moving around underneath the laptop to really vent it.

I noticed this problem with some cooling pads I tried, then I decided to glue some rubber feet on the cooling pad itself, in spots where it will hold up my MBP and allow air to move around underneath it. It immediately started doing a MUCH better job of keeping the temps down. My CPU temp alone went from the high 60s to a pretty constant mid 40s (celsius), and the case actually stays cool to the touch!

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

7. jsteinmann macrumors newbie

buy yourself one of those freezer packs you put in coolers... put it under your laptop... you'll never hit 50C. LOL

Honestly, those cooling pads help a little, but less then you think. In a lot of cases, they work because they force you to put your laptop on a hard flat surface rather then your lap, couch, chair, bed, etc. which causes most of the overheating problems. Having 1-3 small fans blowing air does more to cooling the outside of the laptop, then internal temps in my opinion. Can it hurt for $10-30, no, but it doesn't give you the license to max out your cpu usage either.

8. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

ilap thats what i use it works good play wow with it all the time brought my temps down anywhere from 30 Degrees to 10 Degrees. plus it matches your machine and it dosnt need a plug :)

9. a4abt macrumors regular

I'm using the Targus Chill Mat. It's quite noisy (tolerable!) but it has an excellent airflow. My MBP stays on the whole day (from 9am to 12pm) and the bottom case it not hot at all.

10. a4abt macrumors regular

True, but keep in mind that the MBP's aluminum case acts as a heat dissipator. Keeping the case cooler means the heat dissipates easier!

11. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Nothing get be worse the the large box fan sitting in back of my laptop.

I am going to give some of those suggestions a shot. Apple really needs to do something about this.

Thanks much

Side note, I already have one of those antecs. Only had it for a month before the plug broke off. Not very well made, and performed the worst of all of them I have tried.