Coonecting Two Macs Via Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hexonxonx, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have an iMac and a Mac Pro that I frequently connect with a ethernet cable to transfer movies back and forth, When I do this, it messes up the internet connection between the two Macs as well as Windows computers in the house. The internet connection will just stop every few minutes and it takes several clicks to get links to open. If I click on a link once, I just get the spinning wheel and that will keep spinning all night if I let it, same with the Windows computers. Web pages never load up completly, even now there is a blue bar accross the internet address as I am typing this in Safari.

The problem remains for a long long time, even days after I've removed the ethernet cable from the Macs.

The computers are all using WiFi and an AEBS. I have no idea how to fix this. Please help!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

How do you have the IP stack configured for the ethernet interface of the systems (IPs, subnet masks, gateway, etc)?

3. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

It says that ethernet has a self assigned IP address using DHCP. I have no idea what to set anything at which is what my problem is I'm sure.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Well one thing you can try is to set a subnet on the Ethernet interfaces manually, but I doubt that's going to help, as the auto-assigned addresses do not assign a gateway (and you don't need one for the Ethernet side).

5. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

I finally had enough and connected the Mac Pro directly to the router with the ethernet cable. That fixed whatever problems it or whatever compuuter was causing with very slow load times on all the other computers.

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I'll go with you having had two DHCP servers active on the same network one of them having no DNS to access so when the others computers seen this server they would try to get their DNS from it causing the problem you describe until they fell back to the DNS on the proper connection.