Coordinates (Geocaching)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Telp, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

With the iPhone 3G coming out soon with GPS, I was wondering if it would be able read coordinates from web pages and open up Google Maps and find those coordinates with the GPS (or not since it can probably do that now anyway), just like it does with phone numbers. Just a thought.

-Telp

2. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

That is a great way to word what I was wondering.. I do something called Geocaching and would love it to be integrated to the iPhone itself..

3. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

:D:D That is exactly what I had in mind when i asked this question. :D:D

4. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Oh, on a similar note, for those who have geocached before, is A-GPS alright for that? Would it be worth it on the iPhone 3G?

5. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

Look through the Groundspeak forums for what all the geocachers are saying heres the link: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195517&hl=iphone

also you may want to check out what wikipedia says and see if you can determine anything from that.. No matter what though I'm getting one because I'm sure someone will write a third party app for it.. cheaper than a garmin rino and more features..

6. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

1) I know Google Maps on the current iPhone supports Decimal Degree format for Long/Lat. I have tested this myself. I couldn't get the other formats to work though. The problem with this is, you can't get the maps without an internet connection.

1a) I'm doubting links on webpages with Long/Lat would work. Could be something Apple could implement pretty easily though.

2) a-GPS seems like it would be fine. It might take a minute to initially acquire a signal if you're far away from cell towers, but it's still your standard GPS otherwise. Seems like once you got a signal you'd be ok.

Think about the possibilities for exploring with GPS/topo/satellite imagery stored on the phone so you wouldn't need an internet connection. You would never get lost again...at least until your battery died.

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I doubt the location information on the iphone will be accurate enough to find a cache. Especially if you are looking for a micro-cache.

Keep your Garmin(or whatever) and leave your phone in the car when you're Geocaching. Enjoy the hunt with who you are with and without the tie to your cell phone.

In other words.... Get outside, thats where life is.

8. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I think these people would like to get outside.

What they want to know is if they need to buy another device or if this one will work ok. I don't think it's a tied to cell phone issue as much as an "I'd rather not buy two devices when one will do the trick" sort of thing.

9. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

I hope it will work.. Who knows maybe Garmin or someone will release some maps we could download for 10 bucks or something..

P.S. RIP Tim Russert

10. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

That's exactly my point thank you very much. And thank you for the link QuietFun and the input as they wouldn't let me into the forums for another 22 hours. :D

I surely can't wait.

11. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp