Cop pulled me over tonight...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by corywoolf, Jun 25, 2007.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

So I have had a weird day. It all started on my way to work. I was getting on US 23 South near Ann Arbor, MI. I see a big F350 pickup truck with a few massive antennas attached to it driving parallel with me. I glance over to see that it's a State Conservation Officer's vehicle (with the kind of lights on top that normal cop cars have). I am cautious driving next to him. Then he darts and starts going 85 MPH! I get behind him and speed up, using him to break through traffic for me. :D I keep doing this for about 10 minutes, before we both go separate ways.

I work as a bus boy at a nice French Italian restaurant in the city of Ann Arbor. So I got off work at 11:10 PM tonight (earlier then usual). I was (am) pretty tired and just wanted to get the long drive done with and get home. I was on the same stretch of expressway on the way back. I am listening to Taproot (heavy metal) real loud to keep me awake. I have 2x 12" Sub Woofers in the trunk and plenty of loud speakers inside. I have a pretty flashy car with some windows tinted out, rims, and a mo-tech muffler that is loud as heck. I also have a cold intake system under the hood. I bought this car already like this from my bro's friend. So anyways, I look to my left as I go by one of those dirt u-turn things that only "Authorized Personnel" can use. I caught a glimpse of a black car parked facing me. My heart jumps, I know it is what I suspect. I looks in my side view mirror and see the car suddenly turn it's headlights on and slowly get onto the expressway. I switch lanes and get behind a semi. I am so ****ed, I knew I must have been cooking back there. I slow down to 55 MPH and know that cop is probably just waiting to see if I think I got away with it. I continue for about 2 minutes. I keep checking my rear view mirror. I then see a car fly up right behind me. At first I thought it was the cop, then I thought it was not because how he was tailgating me. Before I can make up my mind, the lights of hell turn on. I pull over quickly and roll down my window, turn off the stereo, and finally turn off the car. I see the cop coming up in the side view. I really have thought out the psychology of cops when I was board in the past. It sounds strange, but I tend over analyze everything. I have been debating to myself the best approach to everything as far as how to present yourself and act around cops. I seem to think that if I act mature, not nervous, not angry, responsible, and give no excuses that I have a better chance of getting let off with a warning. I got pulled over about 4 months ago for the first time for speeding on a back road. I got a $130 ticket for going 11 MPH over. I could feel the wad of money in my pocket that I made tonight. I knew that about 3x that wad would be going to the state if I got a ticket for 15 MPH over. I acted calm and asked the officer how he was doing. He asked for my licensee, registration, and proof of insurance. I got it all calmly. He then asked if I had been pulled over before. I told him yes and that it was a few months ago for like 10 MPH over. He then asked if I knew how fast I was going. I said no, then I said maybe 5-10 MPH over? He told me I was going 85MPH (15 over). He caught me at my peak speed of the entire trip. I just stuck to my plan and didn't apologize or do anything like try to suck up or give excuses. He asked where I was coming from, I told him the exact restaurant and location. He came back to the car a minute later, and handed back the papers to me. He says "Just drive slower" and walks back to his car. I had a WTF moment. I was frozen and couldn't believe what just happened. I then thought of Super Troopers. Was this a sick joke of his? Is he going to come back and pull me over again just to **** with me? I then thought of Cheech and Chong's: Nice Dreams. Maybe he just let me off because I am a resident of a different county and that maybe that would require more paperwork then he wanted to do? I wait a few minutes after he takes off. I then drive slow as hell all the way home. Did my plan work, was it because I just got off work, was it because he was too lazy to do extra paperwork, had he already met his quota for the night? Why did I get let go? I will never know, nor do I really care to know? I just started shouting random "WHoolly FarKing SHiat!" YESSSSSS!" "JESUS FACKING CHRIST!" out loud in shock. What a way to cap off the night?!?!?! :rolleyes: :)

[​IMG]

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Your car probably looked like writing up all the equipment violations would cause a big headache.

Plus most states don't bother much with those infractions much anymore -- except for tint, loud pipes, and those street racers.

3. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

nice, he was prolly almost done with his shift also.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Hey, just remember, they're doin' a job, and when you break the rules, you take a chance. You did the best thing. You were cooperative, (I'm guessing) slightly humble, mostly honest, and upfront. 90% of a citation/catch & release decision is the attitude. Yours, not the trooper's.

I think the trooper thought that you were a pretty decent sort, not looking to create a hassle or excuse, and (given the time) ran your record quickly. Chances are they knew exactly what your recent history was. Keeping it close to the absolute truth was good. It was how you responded to them that was the deciding factor.

AZ uses about a 12-MPH guideline, but you can't even count on that. You gotta be aware of your surroundings at all times (learned from hard experience, believe me!). Betcha you're no more than 5-7 over for the next month or so!

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is dropping to a hard 11-MPH for a ticket on state freeways as they switch the Scottsdale freeway photo radar over to DPS control and begin expanding the coverage statewide.

Should be interesting to see what they do with all those out-of-state photo radar speeders. :confused:

6. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I agree. Last time I got pulled over, I didn't do more then 5 MPH over for 2 months. This time I will try to do the same and for hopefully a long time, saying forever would be a lie though. :D

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Good thing they'll never have the funds to implement it...

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Lucky on the ticket. I hate those "OH ****" moments where you see a cop, get a rush of adrenaline and your bumhole clenches up a little so you don't s*** yourself. ;)

I had that happen to me at 2:30 AM on the way back from a hockey game in new york city. We were going maybe 15 over on a completely desolate divided not-quite-highway and I saw a cop going the other direction, it went past, then its lights flipped on and I saw it do a slide U-turn through one of the turn around areas and absolutely floored it after us. I screamed a number of profanities that won't be repeated, pulled into the right lane and it blew past us Super-Troopers style. :eek:

A couple of minutes later we drove by the pair of gas stations we had stopped at for gas earlier (we had been going the wrong way...doh) and there were like 5 cop cars there. I guess the Hess had been held up not long after we had filled up at Cumberland Farms next door ten minutes before. :eek:

The most ticket-happy town in the nation is about 20 minutes from my house. There was an article about Egremont Mass in the new york times not long ago, because they make so much money from speeding tickets. 20mph speed limit in the village, enforced always. People from the area will crawl through town at like 17, and the out-of-towners either tailgate their way through, or get ticketed. :p

9. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Crazy story! It's weird too, because today in the back of my mind at one point I had a feeling I might get pulled over, seems I had been getting lucky with my speeding lately. I always try to remind myself that I am not invincible!

10. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I always put my lipstick on and adjust my non-existent man boobs when the cop walks up. Works every time.

11. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Nice story.

Is it Palio, by chance? That place is pretty good. I live in the A-Deuce area.

12. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

I've been pulled over in excess of 25 times now. I've had to go to traffic once. Every other time I am left with a warning or I win in court. Try a ride-along with the police if you want to know what they are really thinking. There are a lot of courtesy actions you can do to show respect to the cop as well. For example, when you get pulled over at night:

1. Turn off your engine.
    2. Roll down your windows.
    3. Turn on the inside light.
    4. Keep your hands on the steering wheel.
    5. Be prepared to give him your info (have it organized and know where it is).
    6. Never argue.

13. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

The Earle

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

A friend of mine who's a cop said most people talk themselves into a ticket. It sounds like you acted perfectly: you were calm and respectful, but most importantly, honest (well, almost). ;)

...But I'm not saying you don't deserve a ticket. :p

15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree. I would switch #1 and #2 since most people have power windows. :D If you have dark tinted windows roll down the back one as well if you can so the policeman can get a better view when he is approaching. And do not reach to your glove compartment to get your info until he asks you to.

Imagine you are a police officar at night approaching a car you just pulled over. You do not know who is in that car and what they might do when confronted. The safer the policeman feels the less likely he is to give you a ticket. I always take out the keys and put them on the dash as well. Anything you can do to make him feel more comfortable will help out.

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I once got pulled over for speeding while heading to work (at 5am). When the cop pulled me over, she started to give me a lecture on speed limits, etc. All the sudden she looks closer at me, looks at my Best Buy shirt, says "Are you on your way to work right now?" I of course answer yes, I am. She gave me a warning and told me to have a good day.

My theory on why I didnt get ticketed was that she saw my car with a prominent Brandeis sticker and out of state plates, thought I was a college kid speeding back to my dorm after a party, and wanted to give me a hard time. When she realized that I was up going to work just like she was, she cut me some slack. I bet the same thing happened to you, that being polite and showing that you were returning from your job and not out to party made a difference. Cops of all people understand **** hours and long shifts.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Generally by the time the cop has gotten out of his car he has already decide if he is going to write you a ticket or not. If the cop had decided on writing your a ticket you are pretty much SOL and will be eating it. Now it is easy to go from warning to ticket if you tick the cop off or he has not quite decided yet.

My rules for when I get pulled over.

1. If possible pull into a parking lot or side street. If I have to pull over on the highway I pull off as far as I can. Safer for both the cop and me.

2. I roll down my driver side window turn off my car and put my keys on the dash.

3. I get my insurance info out and put everything together if I can get it with out much trouble. I make sure it is aways the top thing in my glove box.

4. say yes officer/no officer or sir.

5. Humble and I will never admit to how far over the limit I was going. I might say a little fast but I was not paying attention. If I admit to a higher speed I can be given a ticket for that higher speed.

I would say if you have tinted windows roll down the rear ones as well. Right now I am being extra careful when I drive because in the state I am in for the summer my windows are illegal. They are a lot darker than legal in the sides and the back window is limo tint so you can not see in from the rear of my car (also illegal in this state). I am legal in the state my car is register in but it will not save me here.

18. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

These turn-arounds are tricky places, gotta watch out.

A few weeks ago a friend and I were going out to lunch at a big outdoor mall complex about 15 minutes from my house. I was driving on a newly constructed two lane highway with very high jersey barrier sides. Perfect for speeding I thought - the cops don't have anywhere to park! Low traffic, good plan. Wrong. I'm doing about 85, the limit is 65... Fly by one of these turn arounds, and sure enough a State Trooper is parked there... The Trooper however, is parked the other way, and he's standing with radar out towards the other side of traffic... Lucky!

I know a lot of State Cops... Here in Mass they will give you to about 78, which is pretty forgiving.

I've gone by speed traps doing 75 on more than one occasion and they don't seem to care, especially when the guy in the middle lane is doing 85.

19. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

23 is a dangerous place to speed. Lots of State Troopers there, or so my experience has shown anyways.

I do most of my highway driving on 75 in Flint where most of the other drivers do around 90MPH at all times.

I can recall a time about a year ago where I tagged along with a group of other vehicles doing just over 100MPH. We came up over a hill and just on the other side was a State Trooper sitting in one of those turn-around areas. No one even so much as let up on the gas. I look in my rear-view and the cop was just sitting there. Not sure why.

I was in the middle of the pack so I just kept going and got off about 3 miles later, just in case he called ahead or something.

:D

20. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well, you are lucky.

The other day my friend and I were driving back from the movies. This Infiniti M35 speeds by us going at least 100mph. I was going about 75. This somehow caused a chain reaction. Before I knew it I was going 95 and cars were passing me- this includes a 20 year old girl in a focus, a 50 year old man in an explorer, just random people. I look behind me and the cars appear to be going the same speed as me. My friend was like "is it just me or is everyone here going 100mph.

It was bizarre. And I know my speedometer wasn't wrong, because once you get to 90 in the Discovery, the windows on the doors start to rattle.
    --

A (girl) friend of mine once got pulled over by a cop in town. He wasn't wearing a uniform but was driving a cop car. He said in a suggestive voice "so, what are you doing tonight". My friend rolled up the window, turned on the car, and sped away. And I bet I know which cop it was, there is this really dick one that I have seen flirting with women ages from the teens all the way up to a 50 year old lady at the local pharmacy.

21. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

The Earle? :)

Nice story.. have a similar one: wife and I were house-shopping a couple years ago, when I simultaneously notice 1) a cop turned on to the street behind us about 100 yards away in the rear-view mirror, and 2) a stop sign placed at the entrance to a subdivision pretty far off the road and partially obscured by a tree. I slam the brakes but I've gone way past the intersection... I proceed for a few moments, when as you call them "the lights of hell" come on. :)

Calmly explain that I didn't see the stop sign until too late and he asks what we're doing in the area... I tell him we're looking at houses and he goes to run my license/plate. He comes back and tells us to move on and wishes us luck on our search.

EDIT: Oooh, didn't see you already said the Earle.. mmmmmmmm. Good stuff.

22. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Thorny - You know how fast you were going?

College Kid - Uhh... 65? Thorny - 63.

Kid - Uhh.. isnt the speed limit 65. Thorny - Yes, it is.

:D

23. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, I've had this happen too. Just today on 395 South, I swear everyone in the left lane was doing at least 90, and the right, 75. It's weird how sometimes you just hit "fast patches" on the intestates.

24. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

My story time.

So I was with my dad in his big Volvo estate (I call it either the Tank, or his jewish princess magnet), and we're on the way from London to Dover to catch the ferry to France.

The car is loaded down with 4 of us plus our holiday *****, and dad is doing about 110 mph on the motorway at about 3am, no other cars around. (he likes a bit of speed)

The lights from hell explode in the back of the car, yup a cop. So dad eases off to about 80mph (the limit is 70) and yup the cop pulls out and zooms off towards dover, doing about 120+

Remarks dad, 'Guess he had bigger fish to fry'.

25. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

that kind of happened to me. i was speeding on a four laned (both sides, two a piece) highway and a guy behind me was going a little slower than me, and a cop came out of nowhere and put his lights on the guy behind me, so i'm thinking he's trying to pull me over, but he pulled the guy behind me over, who was going slower than me but still speeding, but the cop couldn't see me cause i was in front of him.

since then i try not to go more than 5mph over the limit because if i get pulled over i lose my license, pay over $500 in fines and i have to go to road rage courses. :mad::eek::(