Copied iPhoto Library from iMac to Macbook, now can't access iPhoto on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sandraandcraig, Jul 14, 2009.

1. sandraandcraig macrumors newbie

We have an iMac with iLife 08 and just purchased a MacBook with iLife 09.

We transferred the iPhoto library over to the MacBook and now can't access it on the iMac. It quits after launch.

Tried to load iPhoto 09 onto the iMac after burning it to disc from the MacBook but it won't load.
    Tried to do the same using FireWire and it still won't work and now the MacBook is not showing any iPhoto library at all....

2. challiman macrumors member

I am really sorry. I am sure you are panicking. I have a new MBP and have been transferring my photos from a PC and this is my biggest fear. Do you have your photos backed up anywhere else? I don't think I'd take any chances with this, would call Apple Care or take it in for an expert opinion. I'm sure those photos are priceless.
    I wish you the very best.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Just to be sure: have you tried holding down the Option key while opening iPhoto and pointing it to the iPhoto library you want to open on the hard disk? It still crashes??

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Also not sure what you mean by this but you need to install iLife from the actual installation discs. I'm not sure you can do so to the iMac from the installation discs that came with the Macbook or not.

5. sandraandcraig thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yeah the installation discs for the macbook wont allow us to load ilife'09 onto the imac. The iphoto library is still there but when you go to open it just quits straight away.

Really want the newer version of iphoto with its new functions without having to shell out for the sofware.

Will see if anyone else has any suggestions, and resort to calling apple in a few days.

Thanks for your thoughts

6. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

I have been having a similar issue. I get this error:

"You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto.

You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto."

I went out and bought the official ilife 09 disc, installed it, restarted, and i STILL GET THE SAME ERROR!! I wish someone had an answer on how to fix this.

UPDATE:IT'S FIXED!!...A FEW HOURS AFTER INSTALLING ILIFE 09 THE SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTIFICATION POPPED UP AND I DOWNLOAD A UPDATE FOR IPHOTO AND NOW I CAN OPEN MY LIBRARY AGAIN! FINALLY!

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If the library is correct for your version of iPhoto try rebuilding - launch iPhoto while pressing the option (alt) and command (apple) keys and use the first three rebuild options.

EDIT: Glad to see you sorted it. The above advice might be helpful for the original poster.