copied powerpc files 2 intel, how about final cut pro now? rosetta?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iHenkka, Aug 7, 2008.

1. iHenkka macrumors newbie

bought a new intel macbook pro.

I was thinking that since after unboxing it offers the chance to copy all the files from your earlier machine (powerpc, powerbook 12") -

the programs are running smoothly after the copying from the ppc-maching to this intel machine, but the thing is that I'm not sure weather I have the powerpc-version of the final cut pro now running, obviously I have since it is being copied from the ppc.

should I install the package once more, or what do guys think? it's the studio2 package, the most current one and it doesn't say anything at the start, like weather to choose the powerpc-version or the intel version. it just installs itself on either machine and doesn't question anything..

it'd be nice to know weather I'd have more power instead of the rosetta-trasfer-all-bits-realtime-thingy...but it seems fast. (well..everything seems fast after running stuff with ppc.. :)

some comments appreciated

big thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

AFAIK when you use the Migration Assistant it will use the most recent version of a program. Just open up FCP, go to Final Cut Pro in the menu bar then "about" and it will tell you the version number you are using.

Lethal

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Just go to Get Info... Next to the app name it will say PPC, Intel or Universal. There will be your answer. Also, make sure Run in Rosetta is not checked.

4. iHenkka thread starter macrumors newbie

big thanks!

big thanks, let's see when I get home and see how it is.

by the way it is really fast comparing the whole machine to the old pb 12"...man I guess I've been missing something :)

5. iHenkka thread starter macrumors newbie

it is universal!

"get info" from the app said it is universal!

and also the checkbox is unchecked, so not in rosetta :)

so this means that fcp runs native..

really great! but how can it be like this..I copied the fcp from the earlier machine with the data-transfer and it automatically went to native after some sofware updates I guess (I ran through some software updates yesterday and it proposed some pro software updates..so I guess there then)

man I just love macs!

thank you all!!!

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

When you installed it originally, it installed the universal version - which just means it contains both the ppc and intel code. So when you copied it, everything worked fine.

If you had used something like xslimmer to strip the ppc code, then I don't think it would have worked as well.