Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Updated maps
QWERTY Keyboard
Improved GPS performance
Ability to Call POIs
Improved Walking Mode
Smart call handling to remember your destination after a phone call
Improved address searching
Mute settings to turn off Menu beeps
Improved Internet Connection during Registration

This is a great first update for CoPilot. I've been using this app for the last month and am extremely happy with it's performance. It's everything I need in a GPS app. Save $65 and go with CoPilot.

gregr209

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
New keyboard is SO much better!!!! Still is missing references as POI to Jack in the Box! Also didn't have my local Dublin/Pleasanton BART station (I live in the San Fran Bay Area). Weird. But overall a great new update to a great App for the money. I am so glad I didn't spend 99 bucks on the TomTom!

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
can someone do a review of this update--I'm really interested.

Are the maps any better and the POI's?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Odd, they're removed Live Search and requiring us to pay for it (since it's part of premium service)

That was the only way that I could pull up POIs instead of their preset database for POIs since the Live Search uses your iPhone's data connection to pull the results.. ugh

gregr209

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
I have Live Search with Live Local Search working on my app...the only thing greyed out is the Live Traffic...Also now have Fuel Prices which I don't remember from the last app.

I wonder why you can't get to Live Search?

Greg

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Looks like no UK update yet. Can you copy and paste with the new QWERTY keyboard (ideal for say getting postcodes form google and banging them straight in!)

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I have Live Search with Live Local Search working on my app...the only thing greyed out is the Live Traffic...Also now have Fuel Prices which I don't remember from the last app.

I wonder why you can't get to Live Search?

Greg

Got it working after the a sync, for a second I thought they took it out :(

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
Seems strange that they didn't put the qwerty keyboard on the UK version :-S

ufotofu

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Even though it's supposed to be a premium feature, I also notice the fuel prices is now activated as part of the live services. Unfortunately, still no live traffic, text-to-speech or lane guidance on freeways yet, but I think still a good value for under $40, especially after the free upgrade.

gregr209

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Looks like no UK update yet. Can you copy and paste with the new QWERTY keyboard (ideal for say getting postcodes form google and banging them straight in!)

I just tried copy and paste and it didn't work. Bummer. But still at the price this is still a great app. Hopefully we will see copy and paste work in a future update. Oh by the way...dang re-downloading that sucker is a pain :) took me almost an hour plus to get it and the last 2 minutes took 20!

So far very happy with the update...my BIGGEST complaint was that first keyboard...and now that is fixed!

Greg

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Maps?

Oh by the way...dang re-downloading that sucker is a pain :) took me almost an hour plus to get it and the last 2 minutes took 20!

Tell me about it, by the time I downloaded the app and then started the sync I will have to go to bed before it's finished...oh well, at least it will be ready in the morning so I can see if it has any "creative" :rolleyes: routes to work like the pre-update version had!

Can anyone report on whether their own quirky map errors were resolved in this update? If not, at least the keyboard is improved! :p

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Can anyone report on whether their own quirky map errors were resolved in this update? If not, at least the keyboard is improved! :p

So far their map is still doing good here in WA, USA. My GPS location was also really improved, it doesn't point anymore that I'm across another street or some street parallel to mine, it's now dead accurate (results may vary probably depending how you placed the iPhone on your vehicle)

Update: So far I've done three routes while driving using the app, I'll do an update on my review once I've fully used the updated version of CoPilot NA.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Looks much better

I still haven't done the route that the original version couldn't figure out [stay on highway three miles then exit...it used to tell me to get off the highway, back track a mile, then take side streets] but I will say that the user interface is much more professional looking and user friendly, so I am happy with the update.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Much better directions post update!

I still haven't done the route that the original version couldn't figure out [stay on highway three miles then exit...it used to tell me to get off the highway, back track a mile, then take side streets] but I will say that the user interface is much more professional looking and user friendly, so I am happy with the update.

Well, after the update Co-Pilot finally agrees that I don't have to drive around in circles to get home from work! :p

I love the new interface improvements and now that the direction bugs seem to be sorted out, I cannot see why anyone would want to pay more than double the price for the other turn-by-turn apps...but then, I'm cheap! :D

mhuntoon

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
CoPilot Live NA was updated via the app store last night.

I'm updating it now on my iPhone. Two things I'm most interested in seeing in this latest update are:

1. My street showing up. I've lived here for roughly 5 years, not as long as some of my 30+ neighbors, but my street hasn't shown up yet. I had a Garmin StreetPilot for several years and my street was there, so it's not some remote podunk area. I alerted ALK to this months ago, so hopefully it's been rectified.

2. The ability to have music dim or pause when voice directions are being given.

Otherwise, I love this app. Hopefully, I'll soon find that I love it even more :)

mhuntoon

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
I'm a happy camper.

My house now shows up and there are several options for handling music and voice prompts together. I've set mine to dim the music for voice prompts.

CoPilot Live NA was updated via the app store last night.

I'm updating it now on my iPhone. Two things I'm most interested in seeing in this latest update are:

1. My street showing up. I've lived here for roughly 5 years, not as long as some of my 30+ neighbors, but my street hasn't shown up yet. I had a Garmin StreetPilot for several years and my street was there, so it's not some remote podunk area. I alerted ALK to this months ago, so hopefully it's been rectified.

2. The ability to have music dim or pause when voice directions are being given.

Otherwise, I love this app. Hopefully, I'll soon find that I love it even more :)

I think there is supposed to be a online live search function also..... i might put it back on and see how i does with my street/area also with the updated maps.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.