Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's good to know that there are people out there liking it, of course it does need a lot of polishing. I don't know why it can't find Jack in the Box, sometimes it can't even find KFC here in my area.

Thanks for the compass tip duffer, never saw that haha! My friends also like how the day/night mode automatically switches with your own preference of color! It's so easy to read the street names, even if you're seating on the rear passenger seats :p

Hopefully the update comes within 14 days since I'm headed to Las Vegas for a trip, that would be helpful. I bet the reviews will lean towards either 3.5 or 4 once the update is out.

I am hoping the update comes soon as well, but will it include updated maps?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I am hoping the update comes soon as well, but will it include updated maps?

Yup, that's what it say on their iTunes link: [app]CoPilot Live North America[/app]
I don't know when will it get released though, plus Apple's approval process :cool:

gregr209

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
I received an email today from the CoPilot folks stating an update isn't expected for 6 to 8 weeks :-( That is a very long time to leave with that horrible keyboard :)

Greg

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Update coming

Just a heads up, I know not a lot of us are happy with this app but it
seems like the update is on it's way, as usual we just have to wait for
Apple's approval process :cool: I can't wait for this app to get better.

Source

Attachments

• copilot.JPG
    copilot.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 104

songcunzhi

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Could you share your settings for routing profile. I think the default one sucks too. But I couldn't figure out how to tweak it. Thanks.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Could you share your settings for routing profile. I think the default one sucks too. But I couldn't figure out how to tweak it. Thanks.

I assume you have the CoPilot NA for the iPhone, just run the app

(highlighted in blue should depend on the nature of roads you drive to, like the app says it has a lot of customization options)
  1. Tap Settings (after that, if you see Show More Settings, tap it)
  2. Tap Routing Profiles
  3. Tap New, select a name for it
  4. Vehicle Type - Automobile
    [*]Motorways Favour | Speed 55 mph
    [*]Dual Carriageways Neutral | Speed 30 mph
    [*]Primary Roads Favour | Speed 30 mph
    [*]Secondary Roads Favour | Speed 30 mph
    [*]Local Streets Favour | Speed 20 mph
  5. Toll Roads | Always Avoid
  6. Scenic Route - only one unchecked, then tap save
  7. After all of that, select a destination and before tapping GO
  8. Tap Options on the lower right, Select Routing Type
  9. Set at Quickest, Avoid Tolls, Don't Show this Message again, tap OK

After all of that you should be fine, hopefully that helps

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
CoPilot Live North America Update

This App HAS been updated, and has a lot of the requested features. There are other requests coming, according to their website.

I think this App is GREAT. I rate it at about 4.5 stars out of 5.

One nice thing is, if there are addresses that aren't in your current version, you can go to their support site, submit the addresses that are missing, and (if valid), they say they will be in an update within 45 days from the time that you submit it. I did that with some streets, and in 2 weeks, I saw them in an update. Now, I'm waiting on the House Numbers for the Street I just submitted. I gave them all of the actual numbers on the street.

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I just bought this app after I got my refund from IGO purchase and I could not be happier. It has pretty much everything you need and does it right! I still can't believe how realistic sounding the UK TTS voice is!

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Has anyone had a chance to try out the Live Traffic feature for CoPilot? I think this should now be available and I'm curious to see how well it reroutes you around congested traffic.

djlexus

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
Live Traffic

I have used the live traffic and i dont know if id consider it live. It does have some info. It would be better if it actually used data from other users but i dont think it does. As far as rerouting u can set it to automatically reroute although i haven't been able to get this to work. It shows the traffic icon on the side of the map u click on it and it will show u the incidents up to what u set it too like mine is 100 miles. Once u see the incidents u can click wether to avoid or go through. I have how ever noticed that besides construction by the time i get to a problem its gone and vice versa i find a lot of probs it dosent detect. The only other gripe i have is the way u activate it u have to do it through there website and if u switch phone u have to email them to deactivate the old phone so u can use it on the new phone. It says there gonna to make this a in app purchase in the next update which will make it a lot easier. Heres the thing right now id give the traffic a 2 out of 5 it will get better its just not there yet.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Has anyone had a chance to try out the Live Traffic feature for CoPilot? I think this should now be available and I'm curious to see how well it reroutes you around congested traffic.

It's a crummy add on and a waste of money. The free app inrix does a much better job. I have both and CoPilot will miss problems 9 out of 10 times, whereas inrix gets them 9 out of 10 times.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks for mentioning irix too, I'll check that out as well!

CoPilot is the only one that charges by subscription for the live traffic, so you'd think they'd provide better service here, but to be fair I think that includes live search and live weather reports as well (yawn).

Ok so they suck at live traffic. Does the app at least optimally route you to your destination without any issues? If that compares to my Garmin at least I could live with this app. :D

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Thanks for mentioning irix too, I'll check that out as well!

CoPilot is the only one that charges by subscription for the live traffic, so you'd think they'd provide better service here, but to be fair I think that includes live search and live weather reports as well (yawn).

Ok so they suck at live traffic. Does the app at least optimally route you to your destination without any issues? If that compares to my Garmin at least I could live with this app. :D

Navigon uses inrix for its traffic as does the TomTom pnd and many of the others. Navigon will show you a rerouting option when there is a problem. Not sure what CoPilot does as I've never gotten it to show me a problem. I was stuck in traffic that wasn't moving a few days ago and Live Traffic was telling me all was clear. I punched the Detour button and although it told me it was recalculating my route it did not. Fortunately, I knew of an alternate route and took the next exit and bypassed the jam. I've since downloaded Navigon and traffic reports in it work. Its routing is also much better than CoPilot's. I will say CoPilot does have some options that I wish were in Navigon such as route overview and the ability to change map types. I do like CoPilot's maps - they are colorful and clear with street names and POI being very readable. I also like the option to customize the lower bar on CoPilot. But, given the fact Navigon's maps are current (CoPilot's maps are horribly outdated), its routing is much more intuitive and the traffic feature works I'm going to stick with it for now. It also acquires and holds a GPS signal better. Since the last update I've had problems getting a lock on GPS with CoPilot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.