Coping w/ the expensiveness of your Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkoDonnie, Jul 5, 2013.

1. DarkoDonnie macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

I'll be buying the top of the line 15" rMBP next weekend,

My question to you all is, how do you cope with having such an expensive machine? I know it's a weird question, but:

Currently I have a 27" iMac on a huge desk. There's no risk of it falling anytime, if I spill water, no issue.. It's in perfect condition, same with it's 24" predecessor.

But I'm kinda nervous about the $2799+tax retina macbook.. Taking it around town in a backpack, coffee shops with small flimsy tables, late night with friends, spilling water.. etc.

Does anyone have a mantra for coping with the possible demise of such an expensive macbook? or maybe insurance on their device? how about apple care - would that cover most damages and calm the anxiety? or maybe someone can vouch for the machine being robust and not as fragile as I think it is

I always thought of apple care as a rip as I've been using macs since 2006 and never had an issue once..

(ps,. don't post pictures of your macbook with a gun and a smug remark about protection, there's already a thread with too much of that, and it's not an option in Canada)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I really don't worry about it. I'm quite careful with my stuff and generally don't put my laptop in a position to be damaged by liquids and such. When I carry it around with me, it goes into a SwissArmy backpack designed for laptops, with plenty of padding.

AppleCare can be a good investment should there be manufacturer defects after the initial warranty runs out.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I don't have to worry. My machine was $10. :D

Of course I have another machine (laptop) where the Applecare paid off (new hard drive).

4. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

Create good habits of being cautious and over time it will become second nature to you. Also, for an extra peace of mind...there are many items out there that can help you protect your notebook...keyboard layers, speck cases, etc.

Good luck!!! I'm sure you will be fine though!!

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

AppleCare was worth it for the number of hard drives and hard drive cables I've burned through. Laptop HDDs take more stress than ones in desktops.

There is a question of whether AppleCare is worth the purchase with SSDs. I would probably still get it for the screen and logic board. Those are expensive to replace, so peace of mind for three years would be worth it.

In general, you need to be careful, but you don't need to treat MBPs with kid gloves. There is a risk for scratches in the case, but that's cosmetic. I use a jansport backpack with a built in sleeve and an Incase neoprene sleeve. There is a risk for spills with any machine, but knock on wood I've been lucky. No liquid damage and no drops. Can't say the same for my phones :p

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use it...I enjoy it...I'm very careful with it...

...and then...I don't worry about it!:D

7. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

1. applecare
    2. hardcase

well, just bring out your mac when it is necessary ...

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

AppleCare does not cover any form of accidental damage! (Repeat 10 times)

You can add your MBP to your home/renters insurance. There are two thinks you usually have to look into: 1. the amount of insurance you have for electronics (e.g. in case your house burns down with everything inside) and 2. the theft/travel insurance that protects your properties that you take with you from the house. For 2. usually there is a lower total, you have to check that it is enough to cover your laptop. Note that you typically will have a deductible of up to $500.
    I wouldn't recommend special insurance for your laptop alone... although that is also an option.

How do I cope with having such an expensive machine? A few weeks of OCD followed by mostly ignoring the fact that I'm carrying around such a machine. By now my MBP has accompanied me to rock concerts, bars, the beach, stayed in the car trunk and got rained on (in the bag). Most of the time I don't think about it. The one time I felt a bit uncomfortable was when my MBP was being used for a Karaoke party - standing on a small table together with some drinks, people pulling on the microphone cables, and just a lot of drunk people nearby.

9. GGJstudios, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

"Expensive" is a relative term. Years ago, I was buying a new top-of-the-line Dell notebook every year to 18 months, at an average cost of $5-6K. RAM back then was measured in MB, not GB, and overall specs were extremely primitive compared to today. By comparison, my current MBP cost about half of that, and is still going strong 5 years later. I consider all of today's Mac to be a bargain. There's no "coping" required. For those of us who make a living with our Macs, they're even more of a bargain, as they make money, rather than costing money.

If you want to talk about expensive machines, visit a Harley-Davidson forum. :cool:

10. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

11. jcpb macrumors 6502a

If you bought your (insert expensive device here) with your own money, would you treat it like a dog and abuse it like there is no tomorrow? The answer is obvious.

Last month I was given an entry-level tablet as a gift. Seemingly nice specs, quad-core ARM CPU inside, can't handle a Handbrake-encoded MP4 High Profile Blu-ray movie clip - while my infinitely slower iPhone 4S played it without issue. So I bugged the tablet and overdrained its battery - I'll probably deconstruct it soonish for S&G :p

For the MBPR, though, I bought it with my own money, so I don't mind getting OCD over it.

12. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Not just laptops- cars, clothes, jewelry... I don't like owning nice things either, so I've learned not to buy them.

I say save your $3000. Buy something for $800 that does almost the same thing, and you'll be much happier overall. Trust me.

13. John Adams macrumors regular

I've never bought Applecare and have saved about $2000 by not doing so over the years on several devices.

14. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Yeah, we all have different opinions on it. The reasons are out there for buying into it (1st gen product, everything soldered etc.), but it's up to the individual to decide whether or not it's worth the peace of mind. Just a suggestion.

Oh BTW, looking for discounts always helps. It's more worth it at $250 thru B&H then it is $350 through Apple. Always looking to save $, esp. with Apple products.

15. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Just think of it as your 2-year-old child. Take good care of it, don't ever leave it unattended, don't let anyone else touch it unless you're as sure of them as you are of yourself and accept that it will get a couple of bumps and bruises over the next few years.

16. DarkoDonnie thread starter macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

I belive you, I try to buy things under 500 for this reason. but I need this exact hi-end model for work I do.. I'd pick up at referb 13" 4gb if i didn't absolutely need the top of the line.

So the repeat I'm seeing is being careful. I'm super careful so it does make me feel a little better!.

I do plan to have it for the next 5 years, so ware and tare / scratches isn't the issue, it's just damage and being stolen.. seeing repeat of just being careful, keeping an eye out. so, I'll try that! I'm excited just not used to carrying around something so expensive.

17. gametime10 macrumors regular

I bought a used rMBP (512GB SSD, 16GB SDRAM) for $2000, but still felt uneasy about carrying it around. So I sold it on CL, got my money back, and now am using a maxed out 2011 MBP. Doing the upgrades myself, I ended up spending almost $1000 less, and don't mind letting this get used nearly as much.

18. CultHero macrumors 6502

19. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Just avoid to drink beer, water, cola, 7UP, juice, wine, moonshine or any other beverage/liquid while working with it or you might increase your chances to eventually open one of those "OMG I Spilled XXXX on my brand new rMBP HELP!" kind of threads...

20. jcpb macrumors 6502a

If you are a licensed firearms owner, I don't see anything wrong with posting pictures of your Mac(s) alongside a pistol.

Of course, the other way is to post pictures of your Mac(s) alongside your collectibles, whatever they may be, so here's mine.

and here's a google image search if any of you thinks my MBPR is fifty shades of ugly.

Attached Files:

21. Doward macrumors 6502a

Just buy gently used. I spent 50% of what you're looking at spending, for 90% of the computer.

22. DarkoDonnie thread starter macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

haha ill keep that in mind

----------

my fear with that was that the battery would be worn out.. though I guess it's only 200$ to replace the battery if it was really "that bad" sooner than a new...

either way, due to limitations (credit at a auth mac store) I do have to buy new from retailer.

23. esskay macrumors 6502

Btw, re: the battery, you can check the number of battery cycles on a used machine. I bought a gently used one that had low cycles.

24. Longhorns90 macrumors newbie

It is easy, because Macbooks aren't expensive at all

IF you compare a MacBook to the same level of unit in a non Apple environment, they are not only not expensive, but all 3x I did it , they were actually cheaper than the rival book of closest performance, and in all 3 scenarios the Apple also outperformed the non apple, and still had some advantages that couldn't be bridged in the comparison, so of what compared better, plus aspects not able to compare, and saved money.

The only way a person can feel opposite is if they without basis mind you compare a non commercial unit like the ones non apple compares on TV which are not even close in performance level, speed, hard drive type, ram, and overall build consistency, but that is ok, because Apple can't sue them for alleging better because the actual performance is so far from equal in favor of Apple that ignorance of the mass market customer is the defense that the company can use quite effectively since they are that far from equal.

If you take a similar unit in the Sony, or Dell or HP, you will get to the same price point and almost always pay more, but if you are fine with the noncommercial unit than Apple isn't for you, but don't do it without knowing you are buying something that Apple doesn't sell, not getting any great deal. Like when my Compaq $550 non commercial broke 3 days out of warranty and HP's president's secretary said oops , should of bought the commercial unit, they are made with much higher quality and longer lasting parts. That was HP's president's secretary 3 days after the 1 year warranty, and it just died for no reason at all. My current Mac is 4 years, and not one problem yet. On non commercial non Apples I am 2 , 1, and 1.5 years that I got before complete meltdown, and my average price was $500, and my Mac was 1100, so when I get 6 more months of life, my one apple outlasts all 3 non commercial non apples, and at that point I will have spent $400 more on all 3 of them, than the Apple, so I can't stress enough the delta, but you may just be a non commercial user, but expect 1 and 1/2 years with that computer and none of the time happy, or 5 to 6 with an Apple if you get an I7, and you will be very happy.

Get the Haswell new 4th generation processor battery
    Get the max ram
    If getting a laptop and want Retina- then would only go 15 inches for quad core also because much bigger difference on larger screen**
    **-- unless interested in the Air, in which case, I would wait for year end, because they will put Retina in it, they just cound't do it that fast, and wanted a new one out, so they did everything but that now. On that unit if Retina then different argument, then if your only unit then 2.0 i7, if not smaller I5 fine

Look up the test review on the new Air 11 inch just released, and you will see that thing doing benchmarks unheard of on tests, and yet that is the one limited in some reasons because of the thinness, and still just wow
    The hard drive read/write was almost 800 read/ 600 write when

Non apple highest ever heard is 560/525, and non SSD standard is 120/90 so 6x the standard now is wow.

The volume of Apple customers that ever go away back to the non apple is very low, but the customers the other way isn't

Apple is a solid product, with a great operating system, and I would be supportive if just converting, so you can take full advantage, and with Gen 4, and Maverick you picked the best time to jump, but you get allot more than you are thinking, and they are expensive in your mind, but not in reality and once your own, you won't look back with regret, unless in 18 months you end up buying one after your non apple craters, and you remember my telling you here.

25. Oridus macrumors 6502a

This.

Although, most homeowners insurances that you can add personal electronics and jewelry to does not come with a deductible. Any major insurance company will cover up to $20,000 for a certain fee per year (usually =/<~$300/yr) for full replacement of current year model comparison value. Which means if I have my rMBP that I bought for $2700 two weeks ago, and I accidentally smash it a year from now, they're going to send me a check to match an equivalent rMBP for that year model, no matter the price difference. Everything is categorized into value levels that are adjusted by model and when they were released and when you purchased it.

My agreement is called a "binder" policy. I have my rMBP on it as well as my camera equipment. It covers lost, stolen, physical, and water damage on all of my gear with no deductible, and I pay $242 a year for $17,330 worth of equipment.