iPad Copy 1 iPad to another?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Killerbob, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I am out traveling, and have along with me my iPad. Now I bought a new one, the new Mini, and would like to clone my iPad to it. I have my MacBook Air with me, but not the iTunes library (which is at home on my NAS).

Is there a way I can still clone my new iPad from my old one? If I setup iTunes anew on my MBA I think it will delete everything on my old iPad, right?

2. EDH667, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

On your iPad go to settings iCloud and make sure iCloud Backup is on. Then back up the iPad to the Could by clicking on Backup Now. On your new Mini, go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase All Content and Settings. When it resets it will ask if you wish to restore from iTunes or iCloud. Choose the iCloud backup that you made from the iPad. Good idea to have the iPads plugged into power while they are backing up and restoring. You can change the name of the iPad Mini once the restore is complete by clicking on the name under devices. That way you don't have both the Mini and original using the same name.

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Assuming that will upload/download everything (settings, pictures, music, films, apps) I don't think that will work. I am in a hotel, and the internet speed here is not so good. Would probably take a few days...

Is it not possible via my MacBook Air?

4. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Should be assuming that the original iPad is synced to the Macbook Air. Connect your original iPad to the Macbook Air. When it shows up on the left screen under devices, right click and choose back up. Once that is complete, disconnect and hook up the iPad Mini. When it shows up, highlight it under devices and choose to setup as, choosing the backup you just made of the original iPad. Or Restore Backup choosing the backup you made of the original iPad.

5. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

And that will include all data, pictures, films, music, and apps?

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, as long as your pictures, music etc is on your Macbook Air.

7. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

And that's the thing... they're not. My iTunes library is at home.

When I backup the orignial iPad to my new iTunes library (on the MBA), I guess it will backup settings and apps?

Music, films and pictures will then only be on the original iPad. Can I move that data off the iPad using iTunes, and then onto the new iPad later?

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You can try but I believe it will just do a partial backup and restore. Another option is just to set it up as a new iPad Mini and download a few apps you want to use while you are away and than do a full backup and restore when you get home.