Copy a Downloaded Program to Applications Folder Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jetheat, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

I've downloaded several applications but when i copy the downloaded icon into the Applications folder, I see a silver circle with a line through it as the icon for that program.

This tells me that something is wrong.

Instead of the normal program icon, I get this alternate icon.

Can someone help sort this out?

Thanks,
    JH

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Are you logging into your Mac with a username that hasn't been given administrative privileges?

In System Preferences -> Accounts, there's a checkbox for each user labeled "Allow user to administer this computer." The setting can be changed by someone who has that privilege.

3. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

No, I am the Administrator and I and the one who set it up.
    Its been the same since I started but since yesterday, I get these round crossed off icons when i drag into my Applications folder.

These icons only show like that when i view them from the Applications folder on my Stacks

JH

4. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

I have a feeling that its got to do with the way I am copying things into the Application folder.

Sometimes, the application may need to be installed a different way but I only know of one way to install it and that is to copy the file to the Applications folder.

What other ways are there?

JH

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There are two common methods of application installation, but a given application will use one or the other, not let you choose. For some applications, you drag the application or a folder containing the application into your Applications folder. Other applications come with an installer program that you launch, and it takes care of moving the files in.

If you use the Finder's Get Info function on your Applications folder, then open up the Ownership & Permissions section, including the Details subsection, what does it show?

6. techguy40 macrumors regular

are you moving the download file that ends in .dmg to the application folder?

if so you are doing it wrong.

You have to click on the .dmg file first.

7. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

I had the same thing happen to me with cyberduck and handbrake.. I had forgotten about it, but I just did the 10.5.2 update earlier and rebooted, and the icons were working. I'm not sure if it was the reboot or the 10.5.2 update that fixed it

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

They tend to do this after freshly copied. Once you give approval to open the downloaded application, then the icon becomes visible.

9. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

My Mac is up to date so its not that.

Even after I open the application, it still remains as a silver circle.

The only way I have found out to remove is by removing the Applications folder from my Stacks and then replacing it back there with a fresh copy.
    then the applications show with their correct icon.

JH