copy and paste into ebay..my first mac migrane

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sylus, Aug 2, 2009.

1. sylus macrumors newbie

Hi

Firstly apologies for the post. I did however try the search 1st

when I used to sell stuff on ebay I would prepare in word the description during the week then copy and paste into ebay on the day i wanted to sell it

tried the same thing on my brand new mac(I'm old..too long on windows and am struggling)

when I copy and pasted my text into the description part of the sell part it all changed

the bold and underlining had all gone,the txt various colours, the centering had gone, the size was smaller and nowhere could I find a way to correct it.

I have to be honest I know it's me and the inability to learn new but apart from the library and itunes I find myself using the mac hardly at all by instead using me old vista laptop.

I really want to love my mac so any advice would be greatly appreciated....Many Thanks

2. sylus thread starter macrumors newbie

40 plus views and not one bit of advice?

okay another issue

When I compose my docs i do not see on the tool bar all the additional items such as size, colour, text type etc on the tool bar is there anyway of doing this failing that how can I get windows word onto my mac

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Generally speaking, this community is pretty helpful, but if you do post a question that nobody knows the answer to, you'll get a lot of views and no replies.

I didn't know that eBay ever had that feature. This is a total guess, but maybe it's a feature that you have to enable on eBay. I mean, if you enabled it on your Vista machine, maybe eBay put a cookie on that machine so every time you go back (on your Vista machine), it automatically turns it on for you. If you've never set it up on your Mac browser, eBay may put you in the regular editor which doesn't allow formatted text to be pasted. Again, ust a guess.

On Word for the Mac, click the Toolbox icon. This will open a side window that has all of your formatting stuff.

You can also click on View > Toolbars > Formatting (to turn it on, if you want it up top).

4. bonswizzle macrumors member

bonswizzle

I've found that the text editing tools in your text field on eBay are only present when using Firefox. It therefore keep Firefox exclusively for my ebay descriptins and safari for everything else. Hope that helps...

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds like somewhere between you typing and formatting everything, and pasting it into eBay (what application were you using?), the formatting got lost - like converting a .doc or .html into .txt.

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

There is a program named Garage Sale for the Mac to list on E-Bay. Great program, not free but pays for it self in no time...

7. sylus thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to say I am finding this more and more difficult and i thought i would never say it...I miss windows..too many of my day today tasks are far more difficult on the mac..I can see a relative being very happy with this as a birtday present real soon

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

Not a bad solution.

As much as I love my Mac for what it's done to improve my workflows, Macs definitely aren't the best choice for everyone.

9. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

I had the same problem! Its because of Safari, use Firefox(someone posted this earlier to use FF). Thanks for the help guys.

10. sylus thread starter macrumors newbie

I still can't get any love so I'm going to buy microsoft office for mac

can anyone tell me as this is a windows product will I now have to use a security package? the office will only be used for wordy,pointy,excellie things and I will still use safari for all other things

11. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

As the poster above said try Firefox! And no just because you buy Office for Mac does not mean you need any additional security software.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Just a quick heads up that the layout of toolbars and stuff in Office for Mac is different than Office for Windows.

For example, check out the link below to see how Word looks.
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/word2008

If I remember right, Microsoft will let you download a free 30-day trial of Office for Mac. Might want to kick the tires that way and make sure you like it before purchasing it. :)

13. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

How about OpenOffice for Mac? Totally compatible with MS Office and it's free! Openoffice.org