Copy Audio CD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by walt227, May 1, 2010.

1. walt227 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I'm an old Windows admin that just made the switch---loving it so far, but I'm hitting a wall trying to copy an audio CD. I realize it can be accomplished by importing the tracks into iTunes, but I'd rather a simple copy app---is there any decent freeware out there?

Thanks!

Walt

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why don't you want to use iTunes? You can copy at 320 kbps and everything. It seems like the easiest solution.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HandBrake should do it

iTunes does it exactly the same though, the album is stored in /user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/"artist"/"album" and can be copied

4. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I think the OP is talking about a CD-CD copy. Sounds like you can do it with disk utility according to this site: http://www.itg.ias.edu/howcopyacddvdmacosxmacosx103andhigher

If you have two CD drives, I don't know of any programs that will do it "on the fly".

If you're not talking about this, ignore me :D

5. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Can't you make an archive of the CD with Disk utility, and then "restore" it to a blank CD?

8. appleweek macrumors member

NO, Disk Utility does _not_ allow you to image an Audio CD. Its the one major limitation i've been waiting on Apple to address for over 10 years now. Disk Utility can image almost all other kinds of CD's/DVD's, except Audio CD's.

iTunes would work, but its still a bit inconvenient, because you have to clean up the music files left hanging around after the burn is complete. Also note, you would probably want "Apple Lossless" as the import audio format to get the highest possible quality.

Roxio Toast would do the job, but off course, thats serious $$$$$$ and RAM and HD.

I would suggest Burn.app, its simple freeware solution to accomplish exactly what you want.

Its really a pity something as simple as copying an Audio CD couldn't have been accomplished with Disk Utility in such a powerful OS....